Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change cubby house floor?

PatDIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

How to change cubby house floor?

When we bought our place it came with a cubby house but it was built in a bad spot

Moving it now to put a shed there but want to change the type of floor it had

The previous owner put timber fencing panels down under some treated pine timber. Especially in summer it warps and creates tripping hazards

What would be better to use instead of fencing panels? Something that will be smooth, safe for kids and won't warp or change shape in heat ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to change cubby house floor?

Sorry @PatDIY_Dad,

To clarify, although MDF is a type of particleboard, it's not the particleboard flooring we were mentioning. MDF will disintegrate at the first sign of moisture. Particleboard flooring on the other hand is designed to withstand several months of being exposed to rain before it needs to be covered. Since some of it will be exposed to the weather, I'd recommend going with the decking or a material that is designed for permanent exterior use.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PatDIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

Ah thanks. I thought all particleboard was MDF

so bluetongue can be ok outside ( to some extent?)

I am thinking of putting the cubby house here

You can see fake grass there. ( which is just basically a carpet I layed as a safer temp floor for the kids)

When we bought the house it was just all gravel. ( I think they may have stored a caravan or boat here)

so I was thinking of cutting a large square section of the fake grass out and dig up some of the gravel out and making deck that is level with the fake grass. Ill tuck some of the fake grass undernearth the deck to hold it in place to

What do you think? That should last ages right? Low Maintenace to right? I dont mind if I need to oil it or something but as long as its not all the time or regularly 

PXL_20230703_010425976 (1).jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@PatDIY_Dad 

If there is gravel underneath the fake grass I would leave it :smile: It means free draining hopefully and then I would place some blocks on top. Say 4 or six bessa style blocks then a few lengths of H3 timber to support the floor. That way it will last for ages. If you can find some of that concrete sheeting to place across it that would pollish it off. 

There are also these Foundation blocks That would work nicely to give areflow or for the deck itself.

Dave

PatDIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

To clarify, Its just a thin layer of crush rock then dirt ( mostly clay ) underneath the fake grass

If I put it directly on top of the fake grass ( which is very uneven ) then blocks on top. It would raise the floor wouldnt it? I kind of wanted it to be level as much as possible with the fake grass around it. Just so they dont trip etc 

What you're suggesting sounds like it would work @PatDIY_Dad and last for a significant amount of time.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@PatDIY_Dad 

Feel your pain. If its clay just under the gravel and you dig it out to make it level then those areas will want to retain water. 

How about half way? Dig small footing holes and keep the timber off the ground so it wont rot and then an earthen longish ramp to the front of the cubby house?

Otherwise I would be thinking of scrapping the stones out and put in some sand/gravel and large pavers to keep it level with the ground. Id still be making sure I keep the edge of the cubby house away from direct contact alongthe length of the walls with some small blocks ect

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects