Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change cubby house floor?

PatDIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

How to change cubby house floor?

When we bought our place it came with a cubby house but it was built in a bad spot

Moving it now to put a shed there but want to change the type of floor it had

The previous owner put timber fencing panels down under some treated pine timber. Especially in summer it warps and creates tripping hazards

What would be better to use instead of fencing panels? Something that will be smooth, safe for kids and won't warp or change shape in heat ?

Marty_greenshed
Having an Impact

Re: Floor for cubby house

Hi @PatDIY_Dad ,

Welcome to the community!

Is the cubby house ground level or on posts?  If it's ground level, you could always put pavers down.. Nice easy cheap solution.  If it's on posts and not on ground level, what about something like decking?  Merbau, Pine decking or even Ekodecking.  You may even use a piece of marine ply!.

Post a photo of the cubby house and we'll be able to offer the best solution.

Cheers

Marty

I'll post one tomorrow. I'm half way of dismantling it but you'll.get the idea.

When I move it it will be ground level

The area I want to put it in has temp fake grass ( I got off cuts free and pinned them down for the kids) 

So I am thinking I'll cut a large square out of that and dig a few Inches in and put sleepers with decking

Don't want to use the fake grass as a.floor as it will be uneven and not a solid base for the cubby house to sit on

Pavers is a good idea to but would want smooth ones so the kids don't graze themselves 

Hey @PatDIY_Dad ,

I get it now.. Maybe a sand base would suit.. enclose it with sleepers and deck it, or fill with sand, making it a sand pit!. Just ensure that you cover it each day.. Otherwise cats will get in there and use it as a toilet!  Bunnings also have the rubber mats which i think would suit this project perfectly!  

Cheers

Marty

Yeh rubber mats should be ok to. 

Not sure how solid they would be to hold the cubby house walls from moving around a bit

Here's the pictures of it currently half dismantled

PXL_20230702_225305647.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @PatDIY_Dad 

I was looking at the cubby house earler and have ben mulling over some ideas,

I thought maybe

Blue tongue particle board

It can handle being wet for a short time (3 months) and I thought if you put down that rubber matting then it would be a lot more waterproof. It would also secure the walls and make it easier to prop it up off the ground so air can circulate and not rot the timber. What is the roof made out of?

Dave

PatDIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

Hi

MDF (particle board) wouldnt last long at all out there?

Roof is colourbond sheet

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @PatDIY_Dad. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a base for a cubby house.

It's wonderful to see two of our experienced members offer some great guidance.

What about treated Pine sleepers for the base? They'd be perfect for screwing the walls into because they are nice and solid. You'd then need to cover them with rubber mats to prevent the kids from coming in contact with the sleeper treatment.

If this structure has an enclosed roof, the particleboard will last for a significant amount of time. But, if it gets regular moisture exposure, it's perhaps not the best choice of flooring materials.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@PatDIY_Dad 

MDF would fail fast I would say. I generally try and keep away from it wherever I can and definently wouldnt be using it outside. The blue tongue is supposed to hold up. I wouldnt have it on the ground directly but put some timber or bricks to give air space to keep it dry. I was thinking more that the covering would keep the water off the board. I just had a second thought. What about laying your hands on some of the concrete board (tip shops usually have some) that should last longer yet again. 

Nice roof :smile: It seems to be a solid cubby house. Do you have a pic where you are going to place it?

Dave

PatDIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

Thanks MitchellMc

Yeh I am good with either .

Because I am "moving it" I would see the quality of the sleepers holding the crappy fence palings ( floor ) that the previous owners used to make the floor. If its still good Ill use that and maybe put some decking. The floor would also be a perimeter ( kind of like a porch) around the cubby house so half of it would be fully exposed to weather

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects