Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build timber deck over paved area?

HvR
Just Starting Out

How to build timber deck over paved area?

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on how to approach this project. Our new (old) house here in Melbourne has paved area in the backyard that is very old, washed out and as in picture weeds have overtaken it. There's a bit of a step down next to the house as well making some of that area unusable.

I've been thinking about building a timber deck over the paved area sort of like I've shown in the pictured. I don't want to have to rip up all of the paving to do that but rather use something like the pedestals in the link below on the pavers and then perhaps only have post concreted in at each corner of the deck area.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/builders-edge-70-170mm-bigfoot-xl-pedestal-feet_p2450075?store=6435&gad_...

Would this be recommended? For those that know would you typically need an approved plan to construct a deck like this in your backyard in the Yarra Valley region?

Thank you!

Deck1.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build timber deck over paved area?

Great project @HvR, we look forward to seeing your new low-level deck take shape. 

I hope you've had a good look at @Adam_W's comprehensive guide How to build a low-level deck as well as getting some inspiration from our Top 10 most popular low-level deck projects.

Let me tag some helpful members in @EricL@Neo19 and @DIY4Knuckleheds to kick off the discussion about your construction plans. We would obviously also encourage you to reach out to your local council regarding regulations in your area.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build timber deck over paved area?

Hello @HvR 

Thanks for sharing your question about putting a low-level deck on top of your paved area. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Low-profile deck with screening and steps by @MGusto. This is an excellent example of putting a low-level deck on pavers using pedestals. 

My recommendation would be to draw up a plan on paper and answer some basic questions. How big do you want your low-level deck to be? Size sometimes plays a factor in the permit process. If it is small enough it's possible that a permit will not be necessary. But it is always best to check with your local council just to be on the safe side.

In which direction is the decking frame going to face? Your decking joist will dictate in which direction the decking panels will face. Drawing up a basic plan will provide answers to how much timber and fixings you'll need. How many pedestals will be necessary to hold the frame up.

Once you have your plan in hand, it will be easier to ask your local council as you'll be able to answer questions regarding size and height. If you are under the umbrella of the Yarra Range Council, they have an online form that you can use so that you can find out if you need a building permit for your deck.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects