Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an apple espalier structure?

jen8
Finding My Feet

How to build an apple espalier structure?

IMG_7874.jpeg

Hello, sorry if this question is dumb, I’m planning on building an apple espalier structure with two posts, steel bolts and wire and assuming I should cement the posts into the ground? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build an apple espalier structure?

Hi @jen8,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. This is a place where there are certainly no "dumb" questions. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand. 

Let me tag some helpful members such as @Nailbag@EricL and @Jewelleryrescue to see how they would go about this build. However, it might help them to know first how big you plan this structure to be. Do you have a plan as yet? How big will the posts be?  

You might also not be aware there is a guide on the Bunnings website How to make a wire espalier trellis that should be helpful.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jen8
Finding My Feet

Oh thank you! I am planning to use the pictured materials. I probably need to use turnbuckles I assume.. and cement in the posts. Am hoping ro build two around 8 feet long 

IMG_7878.png

IMG_7873.png

IMG_7872.png

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jen8 

You can ask any D.I.Y. questions you like! It's always best to clarify something rather than guessing. A lot of pressure is going to get applied to the posts so it's a good idea to concrete the posts in place to prevent them from moving. I propose digging a post hole depth of at least 500mm.  

In regards to the turnbuckles, I suggest having a look at this kit - Pinnacle Timber Hook/Eye Turnbuckle W/Eye Screws Balustrading Kit. This set has been assembled for long term outdoor exposure.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Agree with @EricL on materials. The depth of the hole should be 1/3rd of the post height. Dig the hole 400mm x 400mm square. Used timber stays to support the post or get a mate to hold each one while you concrete them in. You will need 2 bags of rapid set concrete per post. Fill the holes with 1/3rd water then empty a bag in and use your shovel to mix it in. Check the post is plumb (vertically level) side and back. Apply a little more water and then whatever is required with the 2nd bag of rapid set. If it comes up dry as your mixing it through, just add more water to toothpaste consistency. Then move one to the next post. When thats done check plumb again one the first to ensure it hasn't moved. As you will be applying high pressure between the posts with the cables, I would leave the next stage of fittings the cables to the next day to maximise the strength of the concrete.

Enjoy the project 

Well I did it! And I’m pretty proud of myself for a chubby 48 year old lady! It’s not perfect but I had a good go at it and in a few years hopefully I’ll have a lovely lot of apples. :smile: thank you so much for your advice. 

IMG_8001.jpeg

IMG_7999.jpeg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks sensational, @jen8; well done!

Thanks so much for coming back to us with your results. I trust they will inspire many of our members to give something similar a go.

Mitchell

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great work @jen8. You should be really proud of your achievement.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects