Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck?

yeahboo
Cultivating a Following

How to build a low-level deck?

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to build a deck in our alfresco. At this point, it's still on the planning stage. I've seen a few posts here and there on this forum and would very much appreciate some further inputs to more experienced people than me. 

My background: I work in the IT industry and "hardware" isn't really my thing lol. Anyway, I've built a few benches, and tables (nothing fancy) but not really built anything as big as an outdoor deck.

Project Alfresco: We have a small alfresco that my wife insists should have a deck. I agree, and I want to build it myself. Here's some bit of a challenge. The brick height is low, and also, "not even" from the side near the wall (corner of the doorway), it's around 130mm slopes down to 125mm the other side. Also, what would look good:(1) building the deck only on the slab of the alfresco, or (2) including the one outside as well?

Should I build a deck to included the ones outside the Alfresco slab?Should I build a deck to included the ones outside the Alfresco slab?height is 130mm from the left sloping down to 125mm to the rightheight is 130mm from the left sloping down to 125mm to the right

Need suggestions on best way to build it, should I use this? https://www.bunnings.com.au/tuffblock-300-x-300-x-90mm-instant-foundation-system-deck-support_p24103... shour I do something else? Open to any suggestions at this point since this is my first build.

thank you.

yeahboo
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to build a low-level deck?

Hello @MitchellMc ,

Some minor challenge came up when I finally moved the whole thing to near the brick(towards doorway, and wall).. Since the concrete slab isn't even, some of the timber "touches" the slab a bit. Some, timber, maybe I can still put something underneath, but some are like this:

PXL_20240406_074807705.jpg

PXL_20240406_074817355.jpg

Any suggestions on how I will handle this? What should I do on the section that touches the slab? 

Thank you.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a low-level deck?

Hi @yeahboo,

The only concern I have with the timber sitting on the concrete is the possibility of water being sucked into it every time it rains and possibly creating an area where decay could develop. I recommend painting the underside of the timber where it touches the ground with at least two or three coats of bitumen rubber.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects