Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck?

yeahboo
Cultivating a Following

How to build a low-level deck?

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to build a deck in our alfresco. At this point, it's still on the planning stage. I've seen a few posts here and there on this forum and would very much appreciate some further inputs to more experienced people than me. 

My background: I work in the IT industry and "hardware" isn't really my thing lol. Anyway, I've built a few benches, and tables (nothing fancy) but not really built anything as big as an outdoor deck.

Project Alfresco: We have a small alfresco that my wife insists should have a deck. I agree, and I want to build it myself. Here's some bit of a challenge. The brick height is low, and also, "not even" from the side near the wall (corner of the doorway), it's around 130mm slopes down to 125mm the other side. Also, what would look good:(1) building the deck only on the slab of the alfresco, or (2) including the one outside as well?

Should I build a deck to included the ones outside the Alfresco slab?Should I build a deck to included the ones outside the Alfresco slab?height is 130mm from the left sloping down to 125mm to the rightheight is 130mm from the left sloping down to 125mm to the right

Need suggestions on best way to build it, should I use this? https://www.bunnings.com.au/tuffblock-300-x-300-x-90mm-instant-foundation-system-deck-support_p24103... shour I do something else? Open to any suggestions at this point since this is my first build.

thank you.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a low-level deck?

How much is the bracket moving around @yeahboo? When you tighten the Dynabolt down, it should grab the bracket and lock it into place.

To use bolts near the wall, I'd drill your holes through the frame and then flip it over and enlarge the hole so the head of the bolt is recessed inside the frame. Flip it back, push against the wall, stick the brackets over the exposed threaded sections and tighten the nuts up.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
yeahboo
Cultivating a Following

Maybe 1mm? Note I'm just trying it from Bunnings. Sample.

1000031431.jpg

 is this the right bolt? LOL.

Sorry, obviously, my inexperience is showing and thanks again for taking time to answer my questions

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Oh, that's fine, @yeahboo. I thought you meant you'd installed the bracket onto the concrete, and it was moving around after doing the Dynabolt up. That's no issue that the timber bolts move a little in the bracket; that's the right one to use.

Mitchell

yeahboo
Cultivating a Following

Hello @MitchellMc ,

Last weekend, I made some cuts for the frame (outside ones).. I followed your advice to make it square/rectangle.. so the measuremeants ended up

2 x 4110 mm = This was because I factored in the 45mm (from the 2x4700mm), and some allowance for the fascia board ~19mm but I made it 20mm (so width total is 4220mm

2 x 4700 mm = These 2 are on the "outside" of the square/rectangle, and a 20mm extra for the board...

What I noticed though is that it looks like the apron isn't straight (and timber as well) so there might be some parts of the cement showing towards the side near the fence.. Is this something that I should rectify now? or it's up to me if I am fine with a few milimeters of cement showing? or am I thinking too much and I should fasten the outer part first and see how it looks? Thanks!
PXL_20240224_045426975.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @yeahboo 

The timber can be forced to straighten out using the angle brackets. I suggest putting the angle brackets in an alternating pattern one on each side. This will allow you to control the bend of the timber.

Your other option is to look through your timber set and search for the straightest one you have in the bunch. The best way to give yourself a guide is to set up a builder's line so that you know if the timber is sitting straight. I also recommend using a spirit level so that you'll know if the timber is level horizontally as well.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @yeahboo

Id be thinking along @EricL's lines but I will add some thoughts  :smile:

Rem you will have a "face" to the edge of the deck. this will cover up uneven edges and "fix" things that dont look quiet right.

I have very rarely found timber that is straight, usually there is a curve or twist.

You will find that the deck boards may have a bend to them, In this project you can see how I used a ratchet to help straighten them out Courtyard privacy fence and gate build, Part 2  

I have found over the years that sometimes it is better to have things "look right" more then actually "be right" Its hard if you want it to be perfect but fooling the eyes can take a project that you are working with and cannot control the past edges a long way to looking right right.

Easiest way to hide the unstraight edge of the concrete maybe to have the low deck overhang the edge by a little?

Dave

yeahboo
Cultivating a Following

Hello @MitchellMc ,

I followed this advice for the ones that will be "touching" the wall. The one thing I can't wrap my head around is, how will I attach the rest of the joists on this side if I drill/fasten this timber already in the concrete? Since the other side isn't exposed, I won't be able to drill it like the one you did in the video.

PXL_20240302_071702347.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @yeahboo,

Ideally it would be best to create the entire frame shifted out a metre from the wall, so you have access to screw through the frame into the ends of the joists. Then, once completed, have a few mates assist you to pick the whole frame up and shift it back into position. However, your post might make this a little difficult.

Alternatively, you can use 90 x 45mm joist hangers.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

yeahboo
Cultivating a Following

Hello @MitchellMc ,

I ended up following your advice to shift it away from the brick first and then move it back.PXL_20240329_051932325.MP.jpg

PXL_20240329_080731014.MP.jpg

I built it level while a few meters away from the brick. I noticed a few bent and twisted timbers so thoses ones aren't fully screwed with 2 screws. I am hoping when I put some timbers perpendicular to each joist (not sure what's that called), that they will "straighten" joists and I can complete the 2 screws... 

If I want to have "picture" frame boards, I will need to put another timber on either side (left, and right parallel to the joists) right? Hopefully, I complete the frame before the long weekend ends

Thanks for all your help so far! also, any points you can think of that I may have forgotten are always welcome!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great stuff, @yeahboo!

Adding those noggins will help straighten the joists.

You're correct that you need to add another timber/joist at either end so the decking boards can be fixed to it, and then you can add the picture frame. Have a look at step four in this guide: How to build a deck

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects