Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck?

yeahboo
Cultivating a Following

How to build a low-level deck?

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to build a deck in our alfresco. At this point, it's still on the planning stage. I've seen a few posts here and there on this forum and would very much appreciate some further inputs to more experienced people than me. 

My background: I work in the IT industry and "hardware" isn't really my thing lol. Anyway, I've built a few benches, and tables (nothing fancy) but not really built anything as big as an outdoor deck.

Project Alfresco: We have a small alfresco that my wife insists should have a deck. I agree, and I want to build it myself. Here's some bit of a challenge. The brick height is low, and also, "not even" from the side near the wall (corner of the doorway), it's around 130mm slopes down to 125mm the other side. Also, what would look good:(1) building the deck only on the slab of the alfresco, or (2) including the one outside as well?

Should I build a deck to included the ones outside the Alfresco slab?Should I build a deck to included the ones outside the Alfresco slab?height is 130mm from the left sloping down to 125mm to the rightheight is 130mm from the left sloping down to 125mm to the right

Need suggestions on best way to build it, should I use this? https://www.bunnings.com.au/tuffblock-300-x-300-x-90mm-instant-foundation-system-deck-support_p24103... shour I do something else? Open to any suggestions at this point since this is my first build.

thank you.

yeahboo
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to build a low-level deck?

Hello @MitchellMc ,

The 3cm difference is from the one near the house, and this one near the grass. PXL_20240128_061435326.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

So, in this case, @yeahboo, I'd just make the deck a perfect rectangle working off the largest width. On the smaller end, the deck will overhang the edge of the concrete 3cm, but that won't be seen underneath it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
yeahboo
Cultivating a Following

Ok that makes sense I guess. and if in the future, I want to add a deck patch leading to that door, the logical thing is to make a straight line from the existing (assuming I finish this lol) one right? 

Also, another question I have regarding the frame... I plan to use the pedestal blocks, and I am assuming the edges of the frame near the wall and doorway should be "touching" the wall right? In that case, how should I go about placing support for the frame near the wall/doorway? or is that where the anchors come in? (Which Eric said I should try and do a combination)

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That would be correct, @yeahboo.

So, you'll create a frame for the deck structure and then fix the joists within it. You'll screw through the frame into the ends of the joists. The feet can then be placed under the joists instead of under the frame as they are connected. That allows you to set the feet in from the wall and the deck's perimeter.

Unless there is a need to connect the frame to the wall, I would try to avoid that, as it adds another layer of complexity. There's no issue creating a floating deck entirely supported by the pedestal feet.

Mitchell

yeahboo
Cultivating a Following

Hello @MitchellMc ,

I'm about to buy the materials I will need, just another quick question. What's normally the standard space if getting a 90x19mm decking board? Also, what's usually the deciding factor when choosing between 140mm vs 90mm. And if it's a 140mm decking board, what's the standard space between boards? Lastly, if I'm getting 90mm boards, I need to pre-oild before install? and will I be able to get boards of length near that 4220mm (although if I am to use picture frame, should be less right)

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @yeahboo,

With either the 90 or 140mm boards you'll want at least a 5mm gap between them. The choice between them comes down to personal preference. Do you like the look of the wider or thinner board?

Neither the 90 or 140mm board must be pre-oiled before installation. Typically, the boards would be laid and then oiled.  

In set lengths, you'd need to go with the 5700mm Merbau decking boards to cover your 4220mm in one board.

Mitchell

yeahboo
Cultivating a Following

Hello @MitchellMc or @EricL ,

I have a question regarding the leveling of the whole frame... so for example with the 130mm height of the brick, and 90mm joist, 19mm board, I'm left with around 21mm to explore from the door of the house towards the outside.. now how should I go about leving this? @EricL mentioned I can use a mix of pedestals and brackets but what I can't wrap my head around is..

1. Do I build the frame first, and start putting them in the bracket/pedestal combo? or

2. Do I build the frame as I level each joist?

how do I go about adjusting the parts related to the bracket? like if I use this bracket for example: https://www.bunnings.com.au/dunnings-40-x-80-x-40-x-5mm-m12-galvanised-angle-bracket_p1070088

thanks.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @yeahboo 

Man I can feel your excitement and must say I am a little bit envious :smile: Sounds like it will be a great looking deck.

To answer your question, Id build the frame first and then level the lot, at leats the outside edges. I have not used those pedestals before but think they will work the same way the feet do for kitchen cupbooards (they are infinently adjustable) 

Id get it level with the pedestals and then bolt the brackets in, the pedestals will do all the hard work of holding ot level while you drill.

Looking forward to the project pics :smile:

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @yeahboo,

Have a look at this guide: How to build a deck. As @Dave-1 mentioned, I'd build your frame first on the ground, as it will be easiest, and then pop the adjustable feet/brackets under it. I'd cut several 59mm high blocks of timber and use them as temporary chocks under your frame whilst you install the brackets and feet.

Keep us updated!

Mitchell

yeahboo
Cultivating a Following

When I drill with the brackets, how to take into account the "minor" movements from the bolt and holes? For example, the bracket I linked, if I try an M12 bolt, it "wiggles" a bit. Or is that room small enough to ignore? Also, the timber near the wall, I can't use a nut/bolt there right if I want the timber to "touch" the wall? 

Having a hard time figuring out which nut/bolt and screw to use tbh haha.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects