Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck?

IronStan001
Having an Impact

How to build a low-level deck?

I have an alfresco area which I'd like to deck.  The joists (Green lines) will most probably fix straight into the concrete and ideally, I'd like to go 1500mm beyond the concrete (Red line).  I have a storm water pipe (White line) about 800mm out from the concrete.  800mm out from the concrete, the ground is at its lowest point, which is about 200mm lower than the alfresco.  With regards to the footings and bearers, what are my options?

PXL_20230917_054034077~3.jpg

Re: Deck options

Joists, bearer and noggins are all in.  I purchased a 2m level (since I wasn't totally convinced the RHS was suitable) and used that to ensure all the joists were level.  I had to go back and reseat most of the joists, but, they're all good now.

PXL_20240205_032625734.jpg

PXL_20240205_032641393.jpg

I set the bearer underneath the joists and nailed them to the bearer.  I don't think my 200mm post anchors are long enough for 2 of them.  I'd have to almost fill the hole to the brim with concrete, so instead, I'll throw some 300mm anchors and dig a little more out from the bottom of the hole.  That'll ensure I have adequate concrete to hold the anchor.

PXL_20240206_061212065.jpg

Annoyingly, the levels at the end of the joists are a little off on some of them.  I've chocked up the bearer to get it to it's correct height and once the anchors are set, I'll grab myself a plane to fine tune some of the joists to reduce and height differences.  That should be enough to ensure the boards sit reasonably flat along the joists.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @IronStan001 

Thank you very much for sharing that update. That is a very well assembled frame, can I please request for a photo of the assembly near the storm drain? I'm sure our members will be keen to see how this part was assembled.

We look forward to your next update.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

PXL_20240206_223738354.jpg

The noggin is nailed with 90mm nails and the joist has a couple of nails and butted up hard against the brick.  I can stand and put all my weight on it without movement.  But considering it's location, it won't be taking any foot traffic anyway.  It's just there to mostly give me something to fix the boards to.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @IronStan001 

Thanks for sharing that picture of the drain side of the frame. This is an excellent opportunity to show our members how Ramset Ultrafix can be used on brick.

Eric

In the next couple of days, I'll be planing the joists here and there till I'm satisfied I have a flat surface for the boards.  When that's done, I'll lay some Protectadeck on the joists.  Would I need to put some Protectadeck on the bearer as well?  Or just the joists?

Them, with regards to the boards, after installation, how long do I need to wait before I can clean and oil the deck?  Do I need to give it time to let tanins out, or can I just get on with oiling right away?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @IronStan001 

I tend to overengineer my personal projects, I suggest putting CAgroup 50mm x 20m Bearer Protector G-Tape over all open timber surfaces facing upwards.

In regards to the decking panel if you are using Merbau pre-oiled or Pine decking panels, it is possible to expedite the waiting time by using Intergrain 1L UltraPrep Timber Cleaner. However, if from your observation oil and tannins are still coming out, a second application might be necessary.

My best advice is to not rush the sealing or oiling process of the deck. Let the panels season naturally, if possible, otherwise you can use the cleaner.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

The boards won't be pre-oiled.  Since I'm in Melbourne, how long is a general rule of thumb to let the boards season before I can clean and oil them?

Hi @IronStan001,

Our Merbau decking comes pre-oiled. However, you still need to oil it once you get it. Seven weeks would be the minimum amount of time for Merbau to weather naturally and release tannins, but that's when exposed to the elements. As @EricL mentioned, scrubbing the deck down with Intergrain 1L UltraPrep Timber Cleaner allows you to coat immediately. Remember that during the weathering/cleaning process, bright red tannins are released from the timber, which can stain surrounding lighter-coloured surfaces.

Mitchell

Great.  I was planning on using the Intergrain product for the oil, but I'm not sure what would be best: Water or Oil based.  1/4 of the deck will be exposed to the weather, the rest will be undercover.

Either water or oil-based would be fine, @IronStan001. They are both of equivalent quality and neither significantly outperforms the other. I tend to use water-based as I'm not fond of the cleanup with oil-based products.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects