Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a garden shed base using pavers and gravel?

Daveq1
Finding My Feet

How to build a garden shed base using pavers and gravel?

I am putting in a 3X2.6 garden shed. I am thinking of saving a few $$ by putting a surround of pavers to sit the shed on (dyna bolt down) and then use 10 mm blue gravel to fill in. I believe this would be cheaper than a full 50 mm slab and just as sturdy. Any thoughts or suggestions?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garden shed base

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Daveq1. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about shed bases.

Your idea sounds like it would work, but it's worth considering whether this would be an appropriate connection method in a high-wind area. If it is a high-wind area, you could see your shed fly off and carry those pavers with it. If you are going with the paver method, I'd recommend Dynabolting to at least three on each side. Also, refer to your installation requirements for the shed as a paver base might not be adequate to fulfil your warranty conditions. If it's one of our sheds I can certainly find out what the approved bases are for it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, Yes it is an Absco 3 X 2.6 shed from Bunnings. Please let me know.  My thoughts are the pavers would be around 140mm long and about 50mm thick. The width is probably around 30mm but that is not locked in.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Daveq1 

Having had a look at the installation manual, I'm afraid they only refer to a concrete slab regarding the base. If you have your install manual handy it's in page 21 and 23. Page 21 shows where the shed anchors need to be placed on a slab and page 23 talks about supporting slab foundations. 

I'll double check with Absco and get back to you when I have more information.

Thank you for your patience,

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a garden shed base using pavers and gravel?

Hello @Daveq1 

I've spoken to Absco Sheds Help line and double checked on what base to use. They recommend using only a concrete slab for their sheds. Anchoring your garden shed to a concrete slab is a requirement for Absco's lifetime warranty.

I also suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to construct base for 'Build A Shed' garden shed? by @JohnRR

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:   How to pour a concrete slab by @tom_builds

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects