Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a deck for a spa?

Daniel79
Finding My Feet

How to build a deck for a spa?

Hi Everyone,

I have a 20 sqm patio at the back of my terrace house and I would like to install a deck strong enough to hold a small spa.

It is my first project therefore before starting I need to understand a few things.

As you can see from the pictures, part of the area is solid slab and part is gravel on top of soil (with drainage). The big tiles are on level with the patio.

Is this a strong enough base or do I need stumps?

2) The air-con in the corner. I am a bit concerned that if I build to close it will become to hard to get access to it. How much space should I leave?

3) how much space should I leave to prevent termites (I live in QLD).?

4) wood or composite (trex). On the second case I should not be worried bout termites

Thank you

Cheers

Dan

20240121_120308.jpg

20240121_120300.jpg

20240121_120316.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Deck and spa 20 sqm ideas

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Daniel79. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building a deck for a spa.

The first thing to do is reference the installation requirements for the spa. Many will stipulate that they must be placed directly on compacted ground or a concrete slab. Once you can establish that the spa is able to be placed on a deck we can delve further into how you'd need to construct it. Presuming it can be placed on a deck, how heavy will the spa be filled with water and max occupants? You'll need to take standard deck construction techniques and adjust them to bear the spa's weight.

I would suggest that you'll need to install stumps in footers for a deck with that sort of capacity. Floating decks are typically constructed when you are creating a platform-style deck.

With the air conditioner, you'll need to reference setback guidelines from the manufacturer. In some instances, the manufacturer might require no obstructions within 1000mm of the exhaust fan. Provided the proximity of the spa does not encroach on the specified setback, then you'd only need enough room to access it. Typically, a person could squeeze through a 300mm gap. Also, take into account if a service person ever needs to access the air-con and the space they might need.

If you live in a termite-prone zone, I'd recommend you consult with your local council regarding regulations on the proximity of the timber deck to your dwelling. 

Composite decking certainly has its advantages over timber if termites are a consideration. You'll also find that it requires far less maintenance, especially in an area that is likely to experience water splashing on it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you very much, I will loom into stumps and composite in case I can go ahead with the spa. Otherwise I will build a simple floating one 

Thank you again

Cheers

Dan

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Daniel79 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects