Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add a side gate despite a leaning fence?

newbiegardener
Getting Established

How to add a side gate despite a leaning fence?

Hi everyone, 

My wife has asked me to build side gates to block the doggos from going down the sides. I'm capable of building the gate, however, on one side of our house the fence has been in a leaning position for over 2 years and I'm worried about adding any pressure or force onto it at this stage. 

Would there be a way to add a gate here without the fence being touched? Or am I better off getting the fence fixed before thinking about the side gate? 

I've added some pictures for more clarity. 

Thanks all. 

403402181_657780099857805_3198946730720409200_n.jpg400746107_1051195085927000_5763835676277284575_n.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to add a side gate despite a leaning fence?

Many thanks for your post @newbiegardener and apologies for the slow reply. Let me tag some helpful members to kick off the discussion for you: @TedBear@Jewelleryrescue and @Tara86. I'm sure they will recommend the fence is independent of the fence, One of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL should also be happy to help when he gets back on the site later today.

Tara completed this D.I.Y. side gate project following a Bunnings guide. There is also the guide How to build a picket gate from the Bunnings team.

Thanks again for your patience.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @newbiegardener 

If you put any gate in there have the  gate swinging off a post on the house side of the  side area that way your  gate will always be square to the house and work correctly, 

Simpy put fix the  fence first; will save you current and future problems  . You  neighbour dosnt want a sagging fence either so time to team up.

Work  with your neighbour and push your sagging fence up past upright leaning a bit towards your house (if you have some strong prop place them against the fence will you are working on it) then drop rocks and then dirt down  the opening on your neighbours side possible ramming the rocks 1/4 bricks down wedging them in the hole so  when released the fence is held up right the slight angle towards your place will disappear as the fence resettles  . OR  re adjust fence lean as  you need too.    Or just  pour in some quick set cement to set.

Pro  timber fence builders used to cut short lengths  or fence rail  with a wedge shape cut and insert it  on the neighbours  side and stand the fence up and really hammer  the wedge in to straiten fence leans. This  was so effective they didnt need to use cement as the earth errodes into the hole around the wedge holding it upright.

Do this for every leaning post a spirite level may assist you here.

Another less than ideal way is to have a longer house mounted gate hinge post  higher than the fence and add a brace between your wall to the fence and  have it hold the fence square to you wall.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @newbiegardener , I have the same situation as you and I agree with the approach suggested by @Jewelleryrescue.

However, I found that getting a leaning fence to be upright wasn't possible in the end, so I resorted to modifying the fence-side post (with a lean).to match the gate. That is, I had to create a post with non-parrallel sides, (it tapers)  such that only the gate side of the post was upright. Hopefully you can get your fence to be upright.

Hi  @TedBear 

Hay @TedBear I  have total respect  you had difficulties in fixing a  sagging fence And your circumstances says  unfixable  I agree on your say so. 

I  have being faced with angled fences and gaps  between joining fences and I simply dug the suspect post out and reconcreted them  straight just so my new fence had a straight  and normal fence post to connect to this was done outside contractual agreement as a quality favour..  No way was I about to match the lean of a new fence to connect to damaged fence. It had serious lean .  The person on the drooping side really feels under the pump and powerless I think it is important for us to right the fence and  wrongs  where possible even though it costs a little time and effort,

If you start building towards an angled fence you are locking in boundary changing imperfections  for years to come.  Ie they want to put in a new fence but a  angled fence mod is in the way a good fencer will knock that bit off and build straight at the time of service,.

I respect @TedBear  circumstances and believe him I wish I was on his job to go the extra mile and try over come some lean  defects for his situation,

I agree with you @Jewelleryrescue that the ideal answer would be to straighten the fence if possible.

I straightened mine as far as was possible doing as you suggested, but without a cooperative neighbour. Once the lean was minimalised & stabilised I resorted to adding a tapered post for the gate to latch onto.

HI  @TedBear 

I suspected as much a  re uncooperative neighbour  .  You did your absolute  best under the circumstances I hope your neighbours are more  reasonable into the furture.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @newbiegardener 

My apologies for the late reply. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue and @TedBear. I'm in agreement with the suggestion of mounting the gate on the brick wall. However, I suggest building a lightweight gate so that it will not put a large amount of stress on the brick wall. This is on the condition that you are currently not prepared to rectify your leaning fence.

But if the opportunity presents itself, I suggest having your neighbour over for BBQ and discuss the possibility of repairing the fence.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects