Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add Matrix screen panels to a deck?

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

How to add Matrix screen panels to a deck?

Hi

I am thinking of setting up multiple matrix screens next to each other that sit on top of my deck to add some privacy, more likely to go with this .

I just need a bit of help with the questions below:

- what does on the ground mean for this? Does it mean it comes with the frame and the post ready to be bolted to my deck? I saw another version of this that was cheaper but doesn't say on-ground. 

- As you know deck panels are thin, so how can we bolt these posts to the deck?

- can I hang these screens directly on my colourbond fence?

Thank you 

Re: How to add Matrix screen panels to a deck?

Hi @AJ-DIYer 

The frame  idea  screwed to the frame under the deck will be solid  I would like to see the top held some how.  Maybe spacer blocks to the fence.

Or a  corner return with an extra a panel will make structure  free standing. As I dont like attaching to fence as one day fence will need service.

deck1.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AJ-DIYer 

@Jewelleryrescue touches on a very important point and that is the stability of the timber frame you'll be attaching to your deck. Even though the Matrix panel has holes in it there is enough of a solid surface that it acts like a solid wall. When storm rated winds hits this frame it might not be strong enough to withstand it. 

I propose mounting the matrix panels on the Colorbond fence instead. You'll need less material and you still get the extension you're after.

My best advice is to draw your mounting plan on paper first so that you'll know where to position the timber frame and the panels. This will save you from having to second guess the arrangement of the panels.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL and @Jewelleryrescue for the great feedback. 

@EricL just a bit confused, you mentioned to mount the matrix panel directly on the colourbond fence. Why do we need a timbre frame then?

So is my idea going to work as per the photo I attached before where I run a horizontal timbre piece at the bottom of the fence screwed to the deck joists. The top one will run against the fence but the fence has a slope so some sections will be screwed to the highest point of the fence and the rest of the piece will be hung and supported by one vertical timbre where it's connected to the fence.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AJ-DIYer 

My apologies, I should have clarified that the timber I'm referring to is the one going between the posts of the Colorbond. Technically just a piece of timber and not actually a frame. But because there is one at the bottom and one at the top, hence, I refer to it as a frame, but I will just refer to it as timber mounts from now on. Sorry for the confusion.

On closer inspection it's only now that I noticed that your deck is right next to your fence. In regards to your question, yes, it will work. Please note that any panel that goes past your deck will need support at the bottom as well. 

I suggest using Zenith 10G x 50mm Galvanised Self Embedding Head Metal Screws Winged to screw the timber into the Colorbond post. I recommend using Zenith 8 - 10 x 100mm Treated Pine Countersunk Head Screws when attaching the timber to the deck.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to attach Matrix screens to Colorbond fence? by @truptidave. This is a perfect example of mounting panels on a Colorbond fence.

Eric

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Thank you @EricL 

Which mesh panel do I need to get for such a design? The one without the frame or with the frame? 

This here 

Or this one ?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AJ-DIYer 

I propose using the second one which is the Matrix 1810 x 905 x 9mm Charcoal Tangle Decor Screen With Frame. The metal frame should add extra support to the panel. 

Eric

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL 

What screws can I use to attach them to the timbre frame?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AJ-DIYer 

I suggest having a look at the Otter 8g x 25mm Matt Black Button Head Screws. Its flat head provides excellent holding power and is covered in Chemshield black for superior corrosion protection.

Eric

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

@EricL 

Is 70-x-35mm timbre piece for the frame over the fence good size?

Also do I need just screw through the frame of the screen into the screen and then of course the timbre piece behind it or do I need to separate the frame from the screen and drill a hole?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AJ-DIYer 

The 70x35 is a good timber size to hold the Matrix panels in place. I recommend drilling pilot holes through the frame and the panel, in this manner both items will be held securely in place.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects