Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add Matrix screen panels to a deck?

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

How to add Matrix screen panels to a deck?

Hi

I am thinking of setting up multiple matrix screens next to each other that sit on top of my deck to add some privacy, more likely to go with this .

I just need a bit of help with the questions below:

- what does on the ground mean for this? Does it mean it comes with the frame and the post ready to be bolted to my deck? I saw another version of this that was cheaper but doesn't say on-ground. 

- As you know deck panels are thin, so how can we bolt these posts to the deck?

- can I hang these screens directly on my colourbond fence?

Thank you 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: questions on matrix screen panel

Hi  @AJ-DIYer 

The  kit you referanced contains  

Ferns On Ground Post Kit Includes 2 x 1.9m posts, 1 x Ferns screen and 1 x Slimline Channel Kit.

So this  kit  looks fully complete and is ready to be mounted on a deck or footing of some sort.  Ground means it has a flat plate on its post to bolt to the ground or deck.  vs  a post that sticks into the ground and is cemented.

You  can  buy extra panels and posts to extend  your screen For example  a two panel fence will only require three posts.  (your kit plus a 2nd screen and slim line channel  kit plus a extra  post.)

To bolt these to the deck.  I would add more timber  joists under the deck to bolt into if the deck joists didnt align as  is.

Yes you can bolt  to color bond top rail  and bottom rail as the panel probably not  to heavy as  it is 1800mm tall matching color bond  fence height

hope this  helps.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to add Matrix screen panels to a deck?

Hi @AJ-DIYer,

It's great to see you get prompt assistance from @Jewelleryrescue.

Could we please trouble you for some photos of your deck? Members might be able to offer alternative solutions to your screening needs if they can see the space.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AJ-DIYer,

I'll be looking forward to those images.

This kit comes with the frame and posts ready to be installed onto a surface, as @Jewelleryrescue mentioned. Ideally, you'd screw through the decking boards into the underlying frame. If there is no frame within the mounting locations and you can access the underside of the deck, you can install additional framing timber for the posts to be mounted onto.

If you were to hang the screen on a Colorbond fence, then you'd go for the non-ground-mount option for the cheaper price.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc 

How can I place these matrix screens over my colourbond fence? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry @AJ-DIYer, but Mitch has had to unexpectedly take some time off. 

Let me tag @Jewelleryrescue for his thoughts. 

As per my previous message, I would also still encourage you to share some photos so members have a better idea of what you are working with and can provide more helpful suggestions.

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AJ-DIYer 

I suggest having a look at these discussions - How to attach Matrix screens to Colorbond fence? by @truptidave and How to install a Matrix Decor screen to a Colorbond fence? by @firenevac. In these discussions you'll see that the proposed idea is to install timber frames across the fence to serve as mounting points for the Matrix panels.

My best suggestion is to use H3 treated timber so that it is rated for outdoor use. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Thanks alot @EricL 

I have attached a photo of my deck which is against the fence. 

The ground is sloped and I'm hoping to add a bit of privacy especially when we are standing on our deck and the height is up to my chest.

I liked the idea to use the timbre pieces to attach to the fence so that the panel could be installed over them. I'm thinking about adding a post into the ground on the right side, one in the middle above the deck and one on the left side of the deck into the ground. Between these posts, i would run timbre pieces so that  I can hang multiple panels on this frame.

Another option I have is to buy the kit with posts (the on-ground) one and attach them to the deck surface but this could be more expensive and take more effort because I have to open sections of my deck to add noggings that will allow the plates of the panel posts be screwed through the surface and under the deck.

What do you think?

1000013831.jpg

Hi @AJ-DIYer 

Why  not simply  build a light box frame out of treated pine 35 x 75mm and screw the panels straight to it. custom built to suit panel heigth and width.

A timber base frame   section can be attached a multiple places  on your  deck as it interscets  with the  joists under it.and your floor frame will be very secure  At the end of the deck you will need fixed posts from the sides of the deck to hold the top  of the box section so it dosnt move much.

A little diagonal cross bracing

As a soloution option.  

Thanks @Jewelleryrescue 

So say I run one timbre piece at the bottom between both ends of the deck screwed to the deck joists under. Then run another one at the top screwed to the top of the fence horizontal piece. 

Finally attach the end of both timbre pieces on the lowest point to a post. Will this work?

If so, which screws can I use to screw the timbre piece 35× 75mm to top of the fence? 

Imagine blue pen is the timbre in the photo below.

1000013840.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects