Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I remove this rotary clothesline?

annire
Just Starting Out

How do I remove this rotary clothesline?

F6AE595D-764B-4913-B68E-03FE4154B57F.jpeg

307A78E8-9C38-4135-BDF3-5ECA3FF996B4.jpeg

E67B0090-D05C-49E7-98FC-A9F34B94739E.jpeg

   

Need to install it again elsewhere in the garden. Should I cut it off at the bottom or remove it with the concrete? And how please?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How do I remove this clothes dryer?

Good Afternoon @annire 

Ive looked at the clothesline issue so many times over the years and the first question I ask myself "How would I shift it, especially one like yours which looks original!"

Id actually dig it out, then I would smash the concrete off the post as I would be hoping its just a straight post with no protusions on the bottom.

So the steps -

Break up the pathway around the post.

Dig around the clothesline and down (It may be 600mm or 800mm deep)

Then lever it out being careful not to bend the arms.

Hot the edge of the concret "ball" with a sledgehammer and hopefully it will break off.

If you decide to "chop it off" at ground level you will still need to have another piece of pipe welded to it and also will have the post left in the ground.

Both ways require a fair bit of work. Just dpends on how much you liek the clothesline? :smile:

Dave

Jwilson
Just Starting Out

Re: How do I remove this rotary clothesline?

Hi, I'm super new here and not a tradie of any description but a few weeks ago I had the same issue, except my original clothesline is in a lawned area. The guy I was going to get to remove it said he would cut it just below ground level and then I should fill the small hole and grow lawn over it, leaving the concrete ball in the ground. But maybe that's not a possibility for you. I was able to get mine fixed in the mean time and so its still there. (the outer sheath had rusted and the clothesline had a tilt, all fixed now). Big job to dig it out I reckon?? Good luck...

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How do I remove this rotary clothesline?

Afternoon @Jwilson 

As long as the steel part is well below the ground where someone falling over and driving their knee into the lawn could potentially do, That is an option.

I was think more along the lines if you wanted to reuse the old schooll clothesline (Hills Hoist) by the look of it. Lots of work but depending on what you want it may be in teh range. 

And yeah I have considered leaving concrete balls in the ground for some instances (Under my deck is a perfect description and just chop off the old  steel posts at ground level) Nowadays I think twice before using concrete :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I remove this clothes dryer?

Hello @annire 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about removing your clothesline.

If I was to conservatively guess the thickness of your concrete slab, it could be anywhere from 75mm to 100mm++ thick plus the concrete foot of your clothesline which could be at least 500mm deep. It will be difficult to break up the concrete surface and the foot of the clothesline. But if you are keen to reuse the clothesline, I suggest hiring a jackhammer to breakup all the concrete. 

If you manage to dig around the concrete foot, you could try and lever it out using a Cyclone 1650 x 25mm Hex Fencing Bar. I then suggest digging a new hole for the clothesline and repositioning it there. 

The other option is to go with @Dave-1's suggestion and that is to cut the steel pole deep enough so that it does not become a hazard in the garden should anyone fall around it.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your clothesline in its new spot.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects