Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I paint a metal fence?

izzysedg
Finding My Feet

How do I paint a metal fence?

 My fence is currently an ugly beige colour and I am looking to paint it a dark grey. 

Preferably without purchasing an expensive paint sprayer. 

Photo of the fence for reference

Thanks! 

IMG_1687.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I paint a metal fence?

Hi @izzysedg,

Thank you for your question.

I'd advise looking at the Dulux Weathershield range of products. They come in different levels of sheen and can be tinted to many colours depending on your preference. 

Make sure you prepare the surface well, by cleaning it with Selleys Sugar Soap and then priming with Dulux Precision 1L All Metal Primer.

While not necessary to use a paint sprayer, they will give a cleaner look when compared to a brushed or rolled finish, so it is worth considering a reasonable priced paint sprayer such as the Wagner W125 Wood & Metal Paint Sprayer

If you were to use a brush or roller, I would advise getting one of a good quality such as Monarch Expertech 100mm Nytec Wall Paint Brush or Monarch Expertech 75mm Walls And Ceilings Spi-Weave Roller Cover and the accompanying roller.

It would also be beneficial to add some Flood 1L Acrylic Paint Conditioner following all instructions on the packaging as it will help to smooth the paint and allow for a cleaner finish when using the brush or roller. 

You should check out these handy articles for some advice on how to get the best finish possible:

If you've got any further questions, please feel free to ask, and don't forget to update us on the finished results.

Jacob

Thanks so much @JacobZ !

Do you think spray paint would be a suitable alternative?

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @izzysedg,

Applying the products @JacobZ has mentioned through a paint sprayer would be an option, but the area is far too large to use spray paint in pressure cans.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects