Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can i cover these horrible brown tiles?

AnnetteLane
Just Starting Out

How can i cover these horrible brown tiles?

we are renovating an old property and have come to the ugly brown tiles surrounding the downstairs of the whole house - not sure if it’s best to get them lifted or just tiles over the top. There is also holes in the tiles as well . 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

  

image.jpg

image.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can i cover these horrible brown tiles?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AnnetteLane. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about covering tiles.

Tiling over the existing tiles certainly would be a timesaver, but I have some concerns. Typically, tiling over tiles is considered when the underlying tiles are still in good condition. The large crack running across the tiles is the first thing that catches my attention, as it pretty much rules out the possibility of tiling over. You need to investigate what's going on there, as it would be a point where your new tiles could also crack. I suspect the concrete slab has moved and cracked, causing the tiles above to do so, too. If you were to re-tile it, I would recommend removing the current tiles and starting again. Before you go to that effort, I suggest having a professional come in to determine what's going on with the slab and determine whether it's in good enough condition to tile over.

Have you considered decking over this area? I think that would look amazing, and since it wouldn't be affected by small movements in the slab, it could be a good way to avoid issues. The current tiles could also be left in place and decked over.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects