Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I restore this outdoor table?

katew
Just Starting Out

How can I restore this outdoor table?

1000019293.jpg

1000019294.jpg

1000019293.jpg

Hi clever people! I have an outdoor table that's not doing too well. It's teak wood, and should hold up outside, but isn't. I need to fill these fairly large cracks (and some smaller ones), then seal the whole table again.

I've read that exterior wood filler will just crack again over time, and that will ultimately let water in. I've seen others use epoxy for the cracks, but apparently that's not UV stable and may also crack. Would the sealant I use on the whole table not help with this issue?

I have previously applied teak oil designed for outdoor furniture but it seems it wasn't good enough. Should I use a different oil? Varnish? I'd like something that seals water out, and that I can renew each year without sanding which is why I thought oiling would be best. 

I am willing to cover the table when not in use (it's fully exposed to the elements, not on a patio etc.) if I really have to buy it's not my preference as bugs just tend to live under covers and make it gross.

I know I've asked lots of questions, but more just for your information. If anyone has ideas on how I can save this lovely table, I'd be forever grateful!

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can i restore this outdoor table?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @katew. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring a timber table.

Oiling yearly or even bi-yearly in extreme circumstances should be enough to preserve the timber. If the timber is constantly saturated with oil, then water can't penetrate. However, cracks in the surface will allow water to penetrate areas that would be difficult to apply oil to.

It's a bit hard to tell whether applying a varnish over the epoxy would provide any additional protection from UV rays. I know that no varnish manufacturer will warrant their product over epoxy, as they are designed to go over porous timber. Regardless, if you want something you can renew and not sand back, then that would be an oil, as deteriorated varnish needs to be sanded back before re-coating.

Were you planning on sanding the table? If so, you could collect the dust and mix it with a small amount of exterior PVA glue to make your own filler. This filler would be less likely to crack and could colour-match the table better than off-the-shelf options.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects