Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I close off one side of the alfresco?

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

How can I close off one side of the alfresco?

Hi,

I am looking for options to close off one side of the alfresco so I can set up the barbeque/outdoor kitchen against it. The height of the alfrsco is about 3 metres. So I need to go about 1.5 metres high.

I have been thinking about the following options:

- add a few studs and run some horizontal timber across then put an outdoor gybrock wall on it.

- build a brick wall

- do a privacy screen up 

Any other thoughts or guidance on this will be much appreciated.

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Re: how can I close off one side of the alfresco?

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I think I might go with the stud and gybrock option as it seems less expensive and work required. Any guidance that you can provide in terms of what type of timber and water proof gybrock I can use? This is just to create a wall to close of the alfresco and also create a background for the bbq kitchen set later.

The only concern I have is  the risk of fire as we are using timber structure here. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You'll need to provide a few more details on the BBQ and how close it will be to the wall @AJ-DIYer.

You should use H3-treated timber to build your frame and Aquacheck plasterboard. I'd suggest that for any parts of the wall that will be exposed to substantial heat, you use cement sheeting to provide a buffer between the BBQ and timber. Please refer to the BBQ manufacturer's specifications when placing it next objects. They likely have required air gaps you need to adhere to.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Thanks for the details.

How do we use cement sheet and where would it be placed in? Between the studs and the gybrock? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It depends on how you're building the wall @AJ-DIYer.

I suspect it might be easiest to install it over your plaster sheet. It will be like a heat shield preventing the plaster and studs from receiving direct radiant heat.

Mitchell

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Ok thanks,

Are the instructions to install the cement sheets available anywhere? Can I use cement sheet instead of plaster sheet?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

There are no specific instructions for installing a cement sheet per your project, @AJ-DIYer. You would follow the two below videos, and then for the area immediately behind the hotplates and firebox, you'd screw the cement sheeting over the plasterboard. You can use cement sheeting over your stud frame instead of plasterboard.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects