Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I close off one side of the alfresco?

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

How can I close off one side of the alfresco?

Hi,

I am looking for options to close off one side of the alfresco so I can set up the barbeque/outdoor kitchen against it. The height of the alfrsco is about 3 metres. So I need to go about 1.5 metres high.

I have been thinking about the following options:

- add a few studs and run some horizontal timber across then put an outdoor gybrock wall on it.

- build a brick wall

- do a privacy screen up 

Any other thoughts or guidance on this will be much appreciated.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how can I close off one side of the alfresco?

Hi @AJ-DIYer,

Adding a few studs and running horizontal timber across the area to create a framed structure that you can then attach Gyprock or other materials to can be a cost-effective solution, but it may not be as durable as a brick wall. Building a brick wall is a permanent and solid option providing a strong and durable structure. However, it can be pretty expensive and time-consuming to build. You could also create a timber frame, cladding it with fibre cement and rendering it.

Privacy screens are made from various materials, such as wood, metal, or plastic, and can be easily removed or replaced if needed and are now available in many patterns and colours. We have a variety of screening panels that will suit your project. I'm a great fan of the 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panel as they are sturdy, offer excellent privacy, and add warmth to the area with the beautiful timber. I've used them for a variety of screening projects around my home. They can also be cut down to your required size.

Another option might be to create a garden bed or use trough planters and screening plants to enclose the area.

If you could post some images of the alfresco, it might give our helpful members some other ideas on what could be used to enclose the area.

You might like to take a look at these other Outdoor kitchen ideas for your home that our talented members have contributed. You'll see a number of different ideas used by them to enclose areas. @weekenddiyer's Outdoor kitchen with Merbau feature wall is always a real winner and definitely worth checking out.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Thank you, please find below a photo of the alfresco side that needs to be closed off. 

I will consider the options you shared.

16721082466893300049823127047926.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I think @weekenddiyer's Outdoor kitchen with Merbau feature wall would look amazing in this space.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc 

What do you think if we use besser blocks as a wall? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You could certainly use Besser blocks @AJ-DIYer. You'd be able to construct the wall significantly faster than using bricks.

Mitchell

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc 

There are a few types of Besser blocks, which one would you recommend? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

There is just one type of Besser block @AJ-DIYer, but it does come in different sizes. The size will depend on the thickness of the wall you wish to construct. 

We do have the Versaloc blocks, which could make the project easier if you haven't laid blocks before. They lock together, helping prevent the wall from heading off course.

Mitchell

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

What's the difference between this type and the other types in from the construction perspective? How is it better?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@AJ-DIYer,

One is a plain block where you, as the layer, have to control the direction of Besser blocks and the height of mortar between layers. You can get uneven layers and a wonky wall if you're not paying attention. If you've successfully laid blocks before, this likely won't be an issue. The Versaloc blocks are more forgiving as everything locks together for you and assists in controlling layer height and direction. As a first-time block layer, this would be a helpful product feature.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects