Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

External cement sheets with a filler instead of battens?

geoffr
Getting Established

External cement sheets with a filler instead of battens?

Our builders are cladding up an area under a side pergola using cement sheets. They are installed, and they are about to cover the joints of the sheets with thin wooden battens. I would prefer a smooth wall look (without the battens) and wondering if there is a product that could be used to seamlessly fill the joins. The sheets are not recessed for seamless joins, but entirely flat. The joins are generally tight. 

The wall is in full sun in the afternoons.

Hoping for good advice!

Cheers,

Geoff

geoffr
Getting Established

Re: External Cement Sheets with a filler instead of cover strips?

PXL_20230719_222613687.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @geoffr 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about filling the joins on your external cement sheets.

There are a few products that you can possibly use to seal the join on your cement sheet. However, I suggest checking the rules and regulations of your local council regarding the accepted method of sealing cement sheeting joins for exterior walls. One reason I can think of for the use of timber battens is to cover movement. 

As the sheets are attached to a timber frame, movement will occur not only during temperature changes but through the life of the structure. In order to accommodate that gap a batten is placed between the sheets. You can imagine if a solid filler was placed in between the sheets and movement occurred.   

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W, @homeinmelbourne, @TedBear, @JoeAzza and @Dave-1 for their recommendations.

Can you please tell me what brand you purchased and how big the sheets are. I can then make further inquiries regarding your cement sheet joining options.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @geoffr the builder could have installed plastic strips to suit the cement sheets, these are installed as you are installing each sheet.

I agree with @EricL @that the sheets  would move if sealed with a filler and eventually the sealer would crack.

IMG_9626.png

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @geoffr 

I havnt heard of a filler you could use as a filler that would last with any movements (summer/winter/humidity) As I have not installed concrete sheeting before (tho want to for the back of the house one day) I would be thinking along the lines of @EricL 's suggestion.

I was thinking surely there must be something that has been produced to do a job like yours. I came across this Nordsjo exteriour supper filler that sounds like a potential solution. Maybe if you read up on the spec sheets of the type of board you have they might suggest a filler?

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning Geoff @geoffr 

"cover the joints of the sheets with thin wooden battens."

What size battens are they recommending?

Looking at the completed job above it would be certainly too late for the Brutus Mouldings, which with my house have degraded in the harsh western facing areas. Over time (admittedly 30 years) they became warped, brittle and shatter at the slightest bump.

Other parts of the house have a 40mm plastic batten that is nailed to both sides of the join - they have proved to be very resilient to the weather and time. But I don't know if they're still available?

Either way, I would be going with some sort of batten.

Cheers.

Please excuse the dust.

40 mm Plastic Batten40 mm Plastic Batten

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Part or a shed built 30 years ago where the Brutus Moulding (facing west) shattered over time, I replaced with a large hardwood batten. I noticed it too, is starting to crack.

Splitting at the bottom.Splitting at the bottom.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm not sure how thick your plastic batten is @Noyade, but we have the Brutus 50 x 6mm x 2.4m Building Moulding Cover Trim.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
geoffr
Getting Established

Thanks for the responses, it's too late for the plastic strips - I've instructed that we go ahead with the timber battens as originally suggested. In the long run it makes sense.

Really appreciate the comments and this forum. I only just discovered it!

Cheers,

Geoff

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@geoffr Id have to agree with comments about the community forum :smile: So many good ideas its not funny!

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects