Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do you need to remove an existing stain before reapplying?

deckerboy
Just Starting Out

Do you need to remove an existing stain before reapplying?

Hi, 

As per the image, I have an outdoor setting that is comprised of stained wooden deck. 

As the stain has become somewhat weathered, I would like to renew it. 

Do I need to completely strip the existing stain off first, or can I simply clean and apply a new coat? 

Stripping the existing stain is probably not possible due to budget and time constraints. If I do just apply a new coat over the top, will this be especially noticeable? image7.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Do you need to remove an existing stain before reapplying?

Hi @deckerboy 

Your timber looks in very good condition not blistering or graying at all so its the perfect time for a recoat to avoid sanding it all back with  you prefered sealer,

Happy days/

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do you need to remove an existing stain before reapplying?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @deckerboy. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about re-coating decking timber.

@Jewelleryrescue is absolutely correct there. You're a good two years of needing to sand the coating and timber, so you've caught it well within a suitable timeframe. You'd only sand if the coating were so deteriorated that the timber was greyed and splintering.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects