Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Corrugated iron gate repair

May
Cultivating a Following

Corrugated iron gate repair

Previous owner just had wire so dog's would bark. We temporarily used the plastic screening seen on left to tie us over.until we decided. Being a recent single parent with PTSD this is huge,  I decided using up the corrugated iron around the house to save money and give us privacy. 

Daryl from Swan Hill helped with what I needed, (will send email to swan hill) unfortunately needed longer screws so Sunday guy was awesome too helping this old duck 💙 sorry forgotten name.

I do want to make it rust looking leaving natural metal as pattern on it, could anyone please tell me what "paint" do I need to give that rust look and the process. Thank you

I'm also thinking of adding a walk through gate where hose is, advice would be greatly appreciated 🙏 

Materials

12Gx 20mm metal screws with hex and rubber.

Tools

Ozito compact drill 

Ryobi drill bits, thanks to Daryl. 

Craftright clamps which is good for this old duck

Steps

Step 1

1. Speak to Daryl, staff member in screws who assisted me with drill bit's to do any job as ex trashed them.

2. Tried to unscrew the wire, too many wouldn't remove.

3. Opps discovered I needed longer cos of wire so spoke to Sunday screw guy, sorry forgotten name who helped me with bigger screws cos I don't know what 12G, 10G is 🙄 

He also helped with clamps for me which was easier than my one clamp.

4. Clamp and prayer and push like giving birth to get the screws in 🤣🤣From behindFrom behind

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Corrugated iron gate repair

Hello @May 

Thank you very much for sharing your gate repair project. It looks very well assembled and provides excellent cover for your driveway. In regards to creating a walkthrough gate, I suggest having a look at this discussion - Timber garden gate rebuild by @bullfrogchamps It's an excellent example of how to build a basic gate for your fence. 

The foundations for your gate are already there as I can see that you have a post at the corner of the house. This would be a good spot to mount the gate. 

In regards to the rust effect, are you after an overall rust effect or do you want sections of rust only? I suggest using Dulux 300g Duramax Rust Effect Spray Paint. By applying a light uneven coat you can create a nice rusty natural effect. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us  know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
May
Cultivating a Following

Thank you for that. The posts are done poorly yet I will have another look later. We are in the mallee so land moves a lot.

I should have said the gate faces west so full sun. Does the spray need primer and topcoat?  I did see you have a copper paint for metal would that be better? I was thinking of using tape to make the design then paint the rest

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @May 

It all depends on how you want to design your fence. If you are painting it with different colours and parts of it in rust paint, I suggest using White Knight Rust Guard Medium Grey Metal Primer Paint - 0.5L to prime the surface. But before you begin, I suggest drawing the design out on paper so that you'll have an idea of how much paint you'll need to use.

In regards to the copper paint, I suggest having a good look at the instructions on the back of the can before you apply it on the fence. It might ask you to prepare the surface in a particular way before applying the paint.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects