Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Concrete path repair, concrete path relaying, or paving around house?

Sebastian90
Growing in Experience

Concrete path repair, concrete path relaying, or paving around house?

Hi there, wondering what the up to code options would be for the path that surrounds the house? Should I fill in the gap, rip it up and have fresh concrete laid, or can I pave around the house? If I pave, would I need some kind of barrier for moisture, as it's would be virtually touching the house? Just looking to explore my options, thank you!

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-08 at 10.51.27.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-11-08 at 10.51.38.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Concrete path repair, concrete path relaying, or paving around house?

Hi @Sebastian90,

What would you like to do? Apart from the separation between the path and the house slab, the path is in quite good condition. You could fill the gap with Sikaflex 11FC and then paint the concrete, which would give it a fresh new look to match your painted brickwork.

Given there has been some movement of the slab sections, adhering paving to the path would be troublesome as cracks will develop in the pavers or grout lines. You could certainly remove the slabs and pave that area. As the paving will be level with the house slab, I wouldn't have thought any moisture barrier would be needed. Installing some sub-surface drainage would be a good idea, though.

Have you considered creating a decked walkway, that would look pretty flash? Here's a helpful guide: How to build a decking boardwalk.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks again Mitchell! Would you please elaborate on sub-surface drainage?

So, at the moment, @Sebastian90, your slabs will be sloped away from the house, allowing the water that falls on them to drain away from it. If you remove the slabs and pave the area, the water that falls there will sit right next to the slab. To avoid pooling over your paved area, it is best to install drainage beneath it. Before you pave, dig a 100mm trench along the side from the entrance to the corner and install Agline into it, then backfill with drainage gravel. This Agline will then be connected to your stormwater. Water that soaks through the pavers will fall into the agline and be carried away. It's just reassurance that you don't end up with a muddy paved walkway outside your home. Here's a helpful guide: How to install garden drainage.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects