Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you put varnish and preservative on timber?

kelso101
Cultivating a Following

Can you put varnish and preservative on timber?

Hi,

would anyone be able to let me know if its possible to put varnish and wood preservative on the same timber. For example, first add on wood presrvative then when its dried apply the varnish on the timber/wood. for outdoor use?

Tried looking around the net just couldnt find the right answer i was looking for.

Thanks in advance

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Can you put varnish and preservative on timber?

Hello @kelso101,

Great question. I'm sure our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be able to assist once he's back on the site later today. 

In the meantime, let me tag @prettyliving@homeinmelbourne@Dave-1 and @Nham to see if they have any thoughts.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @kelso101 

I am not sure what you mean by "wood preservative"? Do you have a product in mind?

I have oiled timber for outside use and that has lasted well. I dont think it would be a good idea with the two types of coats tho (I havnt actually tried using a preservative and a varnish) but from what I have seen in here (The Bunnings community) its not recomended. 

I would be concerned about the wood preserative reacting/stopping the varnish from bonding to the timber.

Dave

kelso101
Cultivating a Following

Hi,

No don't have a product in kind but I was just doing a little research in regards to protecting timber.

Say I made an outdoor furniture with h2 timber depending on budget h3 if i can afford. Then then decide I would need something to protect the wood/timber from weather and insect. Would something like applying some sort of wood preservative and then once dry apply varnish for some moisture and wet resistance.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @kelso101 

Id use oil every time for that natural look (means you have to reoil every few years is all) The oil will provide for moisture and be a preservative.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kelso101 

If you are building outdoor timber furniture, I suggest having a look at Bondall 1L Teak Monocel Gold Marine Grade Stain And Varnish. This is like a two in one product that allows you to stain the furniture and seal it with polyurethane for a long-lasting finish. It's UV and chemical resistant designed to withstand harsh weather.

The number one culprit in outdoor furniture deterioration is UV exposure. By applying a stain such as Cabot's 1L Water Based Merbau Garden Furniture Oil. It will protect your timber from harsh UV rays extending the life of your timber furniture. Please keep in mind that this is seasonal protection and when you see that the stain is starting to fade then it's time to re-stain your furniture.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to refresh your outdoor wood furniture. 

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects