Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Butterfly (Monarch) for the house, fence, garden

Madmoggy
Having an Impact

Butterfly (Monarch) for the house, fence, garden

A lovely. onar h for the side of the house or fence …. Remember when Gran had one ???

I collected the plans for these from a gardening magazine and will happily send on to you 

The body is some pine waste from Bunnings Trade (they call it dunnage) will charge a token amount of may even give you it for free. This was a piece of pine roughly 50x50. You could buy a short dressed piece available.

this is only 10-11 inches oops long and I put it in a vice and sawed and sanded til I got the right shape I thought looked good. I drilled two holes in the head for some wire I had and glued the wire in place. I sprayed it all with rustoleUm satin black form the cabinet at Bunnings.

the wings I drew up and cut two using the first as a pattern for the second so they were identical.  I sanded the edge where that meet to make a little bevel and glued them with selleys exterior PVA

i held one to my table with a rock you can use anything heavy Place the other wing against it at the bevel and propped the second wing up with some scrap timber . I eft this to dry well and a couple of days  sprayed them with and orange and a white spray can rustoleum colours that I fancied. . Then using 48 mm FROG a yellow masking tape I covered the whole wing top and drew the circles and shapes on cuttting them with a snap off knife.

I rubbed the cuts down so that joints were good and sprayed black rustoleum over the top and underside.

I then screwed two 25 mm screws from the back through the wings and into the body to hold it all together .

this one hangs now on my fence from a cup hook and eye 

C854FF0E-CCFF-4B86-815A-32EAD5A3FFFD.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Butterfly (Monarch) for the house, fence, garden

Another terrific little project. Many thanks for sharing @Madmoggy.

Any additional tips you can share for people wanting to make their own?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects