Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building a gas bottle trolley from a golf buggy

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Building a gas bottle trolley from a golf buggy

I was inspired by the Bunnings trolleys that help customers take a propane bottle to their cars. I fabricated one in the past, but over-engineered and it doesn't fit in the car well. The original plan was to wheel it to a nearby service station for a refill - but that station is always too busy and rarely did a good job of refilling.

I spotted this derelict golf buggy on the side of the road yesterday and thought it may make a very lightweight collapsible gas bottle buggy.

How heavy is a full golf bag? I've never swung a club in my life.

20240407_091124.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Project "Gas Buggy"

What a neat setup, @Noyade! I love the way you've designed the trolley. Would it be possible to change the design to fit better in the car?

The golf trolley could quite possibly deal with the weight as I can't imagine a full bag of clubs is particularly light.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

"Would it be possible to change the design to fit better in the car?"

Hi @MitchellMc 

No, I made it too industrial - it was designed to move down sidewalks, cross roads and bump up gutters to get to the service station.

Now that my health has improved I no longer need the disabled parking permit - so parking now may be a fair way away from the bottle storage area at Bunnings or elsewhere - especially on weekend trading. I know the Bunnings staff are helpful with the gas bottle trolley and have assisted me in the past - but I like to be independent.

I started by pulling most of the buggy apart and playing with the buggy's plastic bag supports. The cylinder needs to be close to the wheels for centre of gravity reasons.

20240407_141509.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Next issue was to support the cylinder's weight.

I decided on an old hospital IV hook.

Located the middle and ground it out for an acute bend.

20240407_145235.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

There was a metal section - thankfully - that would support a weld.

20240407_145208.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Welding for me is always amateur hour - but I spot welded it just to check for the height and the right angle.

20240407_150933.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

That was good.

Stronger weld applied and then I started playing around with the bag supports that would become the cylinder supports. They fit the cylinder well - I guess it makes sense as a golf bag must be around the same size?

20240407_152648.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I bolted them into place and reversed the bag "foot" - which originally was the other way round.

20240407_160543.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"Would you like a hand with the cylinder to your car sir?"

"No thank you, I have my 'Bronson' collapsible Gas Buggy!"

😁

20240407_160738.jpg

20240407_161536.jpg

20240407_161618.jpg

Cheers! Thanks for looking.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects