Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Blackbutt decking

southpolemonkey
Cultivating a Following

Blackbutt decking

Finally finished the blackbutt decking planned a year ago.

Altered the plan in the middle of the building and it turned out great and more welcoming to go out and have a seat.

The floor has weathered a bit since January. I will high pressure wash it this week and apply oils.

I've read that applying just clear oil won't last the timber color, it will grey out naturally.

So thinking of two options

- Cutek CD50 Goldtone

- Sikkens HSLE Light Oak

Happy to hear some feedbacks on these two products.

Materials

90x45 H3

86x19mm blackbutt decking

90x90 H4 post

Tools

Steps

Step 1

IMG_2711.jpegIMG_2713.jpegIMG_2718.jpegIMG_2720.jpegStrip grass. Compact soil.Strip grass. Compact soil.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Blackbutt decking

Hello @southpolemonkey 

What a beautifully constructed deck. Top marks for the timber seating at the end as it serves as both seating and a reminder to the people on the deck that they are close to the edge and prevents them from walking further. Having the timber skirt under the under the lip of the final panel of the seat is a nice touch.

I've only seen samples of the Cutek CD50 Goldtone and Sikkens HLSE Light Oak. But I do know that both products have excellent customer reviews. But with any oil or sealant, I always suggest testing it on an offcut or a small area away from direct line of sight to give you an idea of what the finish will be. If you are satisfied with the finish, you can then commit the entire deck. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to oil your deck

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects