Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best way to rainproof my polycarbonate roof?

havad
Finding My Feet

Best way to rainproof my polycarbonate roof?

Newly installed Polycarbonate  (lexan thermal) roof.  Handyman installed using screws with silicone.  I have many leaks (rains for months here)....It was suggested to remove screws, put in more silicone, and put screws back in.  Online suggests a good tape (which is best?) or silicone.   Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best way to rainproof my polycarbonate roof

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @havad. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing polycarbonate sheeting.

Requesting the installer to return and use the appropriate and specified sheet fittings in the approved fashion would be best. I can't imagine using standard screws and silicone is a method that is adequate or compiles with the warranty stipulations for the product.

Regarding specific information on this product and ways to resolve the situation, it would be best to contact the manufacturer and speak to them directly. They would be the best source of information about their product. I am unaware of the best method as it is not a product we stock. Our polycarbonate sheets require the use of specific screws designed for polycarbonate. They come pre-installed with a rubber dome washer that seals against the sheeting and prevents water from leaking through their holes.

If you want to go down the weatherproof tape path, we have Weatherproof Byute Flashing that could potentially be used. However, I recommend you check with the manufacturer of your roof sheeting to ensure compatibility.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you...I'm in Mexico..Tried calling Lexan previous, their main focus was 'where' I got this, & not very helpful.  I whatsapp-ed another Lexan and hope they're better.....From above at least, the screws look similar to yours....This butyl stuff, wonder if I can find it on Amazon...And thanks for the warm welcome! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Butyl tape is just a bitumen tar-backed aluminium tape @havad. It's typically used for various types of weather-proofing on roofs and gutters; I'm sure you'd find something similar locally. You could also try just adding more silicone over the screws or, as you mentioned, removing them and adding more to the hole.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects