Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Backyard transformation - before and after

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Backyard transformation - before and after

Here are some  before and after shots of our backyard. Like always with owning a first home, we only then realised how long it takes to do things to the house like landscaping/gardening. The two things we struggled with was time and money, so all I could really do is just chip away at it, month to month.

We always wanted a merbau deck for the back Alfresco and planned to get it done as soon as we moved in, but then to find we needed that money elsewhere.

The first thing i started making was the raised garden bed with merbau seating and two feature screens either side. Thanks to Bunnings they had the Composite Eco Sleepers which looked great. But everything came to a holt as I injured my back at work.

Two years later we finally were able to get the deck in, then things started to fall into place, then came the grass and paving. 

1.png

2.png

73AE54CA-DF5C-40E5-81CF-5433057A9D75.jpeg

F983E61E-F920-4F60-9D2D-5F78232B3E05.jpeg

418E698F-4357-4275-B41B-26B6F2338A94.jpeg

3.png

7A7EBB9A-9773-4FD1-A0B7-228F57919F61.jpeg

49628E81-364E-400C-BEE9-DEC867AAEF0E.jpeg

4.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Backyard transformation - before and after

It looks amazing @LePallet. Many thanks for sharing. I'm sure this will inspire many people to create their own wonderful outdoor spaces. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@LePallet

Wow!! What an amazing job looks fantastic!!
What turf did you go with? Have you had any issues with the plants? We have very sandy soil so have had trouble buying plants that will cope. Your garden looks great!

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Thanks @Tara86

the grass is Queensland Blue, it’s not classified as couch but borderline, it still grows to some nice length. The only trouble we have found is it doesn’t like to much shade or not a lot of traffic on it either so a lot of love is needed over winter, But In summer it’s a nice soft grass and awesomely on the kids feet.

With the planting, the raised garden beds I filled them with garden mix soil I had ordered from the Soil Shop, and as the rest of the garden was pure Sand, I added bags of soil conditioner that I purchased from Bunnings. Chose to go with a lot of succulents as they are as tough as anything and love the sand. I Love my Frangipenis,Yukkas, Avera’s, dragon trees as they are the two on each side of the seat (hoping they don’t grow massive other wise I will cut the top head leaf off so it then sprouts outward.

Unfortunately as we finished the backyard we had to move to Melbourne to get my back surgery so we are currently renting the house out. So the garden along the house we didn’t do to much there, just a few random plants I’ve collected over the years and some mulch.

My tip of getting really cheap and near to nothing plants is be apart of plant pages on Facebook and also the local page, and just ask and a lot of time people give you cutting. 

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

Great result @LePallet. Very well done.

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@LePallet thanks so much for the info!! I love succulents ha ha. Great idea as I have a few mates who also have many of these plants so will definitely ask them for off cuts. 

We’ve only planted 3 types in our front and 1 in the back a year ago. Been very lucky as they have all thrived in the sandy soil. 

Just quickly did you make the playhouse or purchase it? I’m currently looking at plans to build a raised one for my kids. 

I hope your recovery is going quick and your feeling so much better. Have seen you’ve been easing back into your woodwork - great to see! Hope the occupants look after your yard too. 

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

@Tara86 Much appreciated and thank you. They love any soils and thrive on the heat. My favourite plants are Dragon Tree, there are something about them that makes each individual plant unique. 

A friend of ours actually won the cubby in a raffle and gave it to us which was craned in. It’s a beauty and very solid. I made the sandpit, giant chalk board and painted pencil like posts around.  

If you want to head to my page at https://m.facebook.com/lepalletenterprises/ and shoot me a message I’ll be happy to send you some really cool and simple cubby ideas which you can make from recycled timber. 

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@LePallet wow what a great friend ha ha. Awesome thank you will definitely check out your page and send you a message.

We have access to plenty of recycled timber so any ideas that incorporate that would be amazing! 

Thanks again

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

@Tara86 Awesome happy to help 

chat soon 😊

@LePallet 

Hey, your yard looks amazing. If ok, could i ask a couple of personal questions? Did u build the deck yourself? How long did it take you ? And how much did the deck set you back? Currently at the planning stage of my backyard reno. Also, hope your surgery / recovery is going great.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects