Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Backyard outdoor entertaining area

DJC
Cultivating a Following

Backyard outdoor entertaining area

D1460802-9552-4864-B018-728565F4C38F.jpeg

We moved into our coastal home surrounded by the Royal National Park in 2018. 

The backyard is a perfect size for us but desperately needed updating & to remove a ugly pond which attracted red belly black snakes. 

We’ve also been renovating the back of house & wanted a cohesive coastal look & feel.

Materials

IMG_0303.jpeg

IMG_0302.jpeg

IMG_0301.jpeg

IMG_0300.jpeg

  

IMG_0299.jpeg

IMG_0304.jpeg

Tools

Steps

Step 1

Removed original back garden & pond.

IMG_2544.jpeg

Step 2

Using French pattern travertine pavers, paved an area 7m x 3m & glued paves on the wall of the garden bed. 

IMG_2577.jpeg

Step 3

I decided to increase the height of the garden bed to construct seating & a table as we are exposed to 100km wind’s & the furniture we were looking at would blow away. 

Spray painted the colourbond fence white.

IMG_2698.jpeg

Step 4

Using James Hardie Axon panelling, I cladded all the Besser blocks & painted it white using Dulux Weathershield. 

IMG_0049.jpeg

Step 5

Using travertine tiles in the French pattern, I glued them onto blue board. 

IMG_0048.jpeg

Step 6

Constructed additional seating, hung doors, planted Murrayas in the garden beds. 

IMG_0102.jpeg

Step 7

I put it all together, bought a large umbrella, weatherproof cushions & beautiful gold lanterns. 

When the Murrayas grow tall, we’ll put solar lights in the trees in summer. 

IMG_0105.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Backyard outdoor entertaining area

Hello @DJC 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your outdoor entertaining area project.

What an awesome transformation, the pavers really give the area such a relaxing look and feel. Your seating assembly is ingenious and using the Axon panelling was a great way to hide the masonry. 

Again, thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

I agree with Eric, this is a stunning outdoor entertaining area, @DJC. What a dramatic transformation.

I hope you've been enjoying the space, especially now that spring is officially here. Can't wait to see what the area looks like once you finish installing those solar lights - do keep us updated with photos.

Are you renovating any other parts of your home? Don't hesitate to reach out if you need a hand with anything. Our wonderful Bunnings Workshop community members will be happy to assist.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Afternoon @DJC 

Care if I steal your idea for those Bessa blocks! That is brilliant and they look so good. Had you seen them before or did you come up with the idea yoursel? Love it when we think outside the immediate square! Those travertine tiles really brings it all together.

Nice place to hang out :smile:

Dave

DJC
Cultivating a Following

Hi Dave,

You can definitely steal this look. 
This was my idea as I had a specific look I wanted to marry with the back of the house and with the severe weather we get, didn’t want furniture flying around. 

Have fun, good luck & would love to see your photos when your finished.

😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects