Workshop
Ask a question

How to renovate 1950's quarter round front portico with 3 corinthian columns and terrazzo floor?

kads
Just Starting Out

How to renovate 1950's quarter round front portico with 3 corinthian columns and terrazzo floor?

I would like to retain the character but not keen on the swirly pattern on the columns nor the very fancy bits at the top, would prefer something still round in keeping with the style but simpler. The roof has had water ingress over the many years it has stood there. I know I can use a bitumen type coating on the top to try and help reduce this in future but what to do about the already rusted iron bars and flaky render on the underside? The floor and step to the door were originally a slightly pinkish tone terrazzo but seem to have yellowed over the tears, there is a dip where water pools and where you can see it has stained the floor and there are a couple of fine cracks towards the outer edges. The water pipe was added a few years ago to try and siphon the water off the roof and we have applied the bitumen coating at least once in recent years to try and stop further damage. Trying to find the most cost effective way of maintaining character but improving the look as well given it is it is right at the front and main entry to the house.

Any ideas and advice gratefully received!
Portico 1.jpg

Portico 2.jpg

Portico 3.jpg

portico 4.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: 1950's quarter round front portico with 3 corinthian columns and terrazzo floor.

Hello @kads 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your front entrance.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to repair concrete walls and ceilings with concrete cancer? by @RayR. In the discussion you'll see that the products recommended were the Sika 20kg Sika MonoTop-352NFG Structural Repair Mortar and the Monotop-352NFG along with Sika MonoTop®-910 N.

I suggest addressing the leak first and using a bitumen sealer is ideal solution. Once the leak has been plugged up you can then apply the Sika products to repair the concrete damage.

In regards to the columns, I don't think patching and rendering the surface will produce an ideal outcome. I propose changing the columns completely with the ones that you want. However, if you are not yet able to do this, I suggest cleaning the posts as best as you can and painting it white so that they look neat and tidy.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to renovate 1950's quarter round front portico with 3 corinthian columns and terrazzo floor?

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kads. We're pleased to have you join us and trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our wonderful members.

I hope you found Eric's reply helpful.

Let me tag a few other experienced members for their thoughts on how they would tackle this project: 

@Renowayoflife@redbournreno@homeinmelbourne.    

Looking forward to seeing how you can improve your home.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects