Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to dog-proof our metal gate?

Kels_46
Just Starting Out

How to dog-proof our metal gate?

Needing advise on securing the bottom of our gate so the dog can't crawl under. We need to be able to use the gate as well.

Also we live in a rental so can't make any permanent changes.

Would appreciate any ideas or advice!!

thumbnail_IMG_0332.jpg 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to dog-proof our metal gate

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kels_46. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about dog-proofing a gate.

Can you tell us a bit more about the slope of the ground? Although not particularly obvious in the image, I suspect that the gate is set this high to clear the sloped ground in front of it. When you open the gate, in its arc, how close does it come to the ground? If it does come close to the ground, this will impact what measures you can put in place when it's open. The simple solution would be to ask the owner if they would allow you to screw some 140mm decking to the bottom of the gate to close the gap. However, a solid board like this will stop the gate from opening if it contacts the sloped ground.

I'm keen to hear if the ground slops down towards the gate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to dog-proof our metal gate

I have old eyes @Kels_46  - but I too think there is a slope seen moving to the top of the photo?

If you open the gates fully (firmly holding your dog) what distance is there between the bottom edge and the ground?

Photos please. 😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects