Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do with unused fireplace nook?

MisManaged
Just Starting Out

What to do with unused fireplace nook?

20240307_121535.jpg

Hi guys, we have this odd alcove in our living/kitchen area. We are removing the fireplace as it is broken and we have r/c aircon. Any ideas on how to repurpose the area? We can't remove the brick hob unfortunately and the walls don't line up (the right of the fireplace to the left of the chair). Please throw some ideas my way! Tia

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What to do with unused fireplace nook?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MisManaged. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about an unused space.

Do you read much or have some ornaments you'd like to showcase? Perhaps you could place a shelving unit diagonally in the corner. I think whatever it is you choose, it will need to correspond with the hob or it will look awkward. 

Some other ideas might be to create a plant corner, a pet retreat or adding a corner table. My favourite of these is a plant corner, and something like this HOMFURN Corner Shelving Unit, 5-Tier Industrial Corner Bookcase and Shelf would look amazing filled with greenery.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @MisManaged,

Hope you found Mitch's ideas helpful. 

Let me tag some other community members for their thoughts:

@Renowayoflife@lifestylebymari@redbournreno@prettyliving 

Jason

Hi @MisManaged sounds like an interesting project. I love the idea of shelves or you could create a little indoor garden? You can use shelves or repurpose old furniture legs and thrifted plates. I know it sounds a little strange but let me show you 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3_Gpsiycqg/?igsh=MWR1eHYwcDA2Zm1oeA==

IMG_2844_jpg.jpeg

Love that idea @Renowayoflife! Creating interest by using a variety of stands at different heights would fill out the area very nicely.

Mitchell

redbournreno
Having an Impact

Hi @MisManaged,  You could make some great use out of that new space. 

Depending what other storage and display options you have in the house then a built in bookcase would add some great functionality.  You could do a higher than normal plinth/kickboard to cover the brick so you don't have to remove it.

Something like this:

redbournreno_0-1711321460062.png

redbournreno_1-1711321520793.png

The latter one with curves simply uses some plywood or mdf that is painted. You can get the unpainted Kaboodle cabinetry for the lower section and paint it all the same colour.

If you have cats as well as your cute doggy then a cat play tower could go there.

Best of luck with it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects