Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do with the satellite cable coming from the wall?

barydos
Having an Impact

What to do with the satellite cable coming from the wall?

Hi everyone,

I'm moving into a new home soon, and there is what looks to be a satellite cable coming from an outlet?

I'd like to have this removed and then patch up the hole at the edge of the outlet cover.

At first I thought I could put it in a box and hide it inside the wall, but perhaps it's better to just remove it completely?

It's hard to really see inside the wall.

Thanks!

closeup1.jpgcloseup2.jpgmain.jpgwall.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What to do with the satellite cable coming from the wall?

Hello @barydos

In the interest of safety, I suggest engaging the services of a licensed electrician. It is difficult to tell where this cable is running through your house and pulling it could cause damage to other wires in your wall. It looks like the cable has other wires connected to it. These ends must be sealed or terminated properly by an electrician. 

Please do not touch or cut the bare wires, if you do need to touch them please make sure you are wearing thick rubber gloves. Please make sure to inform your household not to touch this cable.

Let me call on our experienced member @MikeTNZ for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hi @barydos and @EricL 

It will be an ELV extra low voltage cable most likely DC and given the fact its stripped back and twisted together what ever is at the other end is transmitting no power.

In my qualified opinion looking at that nothing indicates to me that that is hooked up to mains power otherwise it would be sparking or would have tripped a circuit breaker but you always do have to expect the unexpected with DIY I have seen some pretty dodgy stuff in my time.

If it is confirmed as ELV then it would be safe to cut the individual cores off flush and tape the end up and place back in the wall.

How to confirm it is ELV I'm not going to give that advise sorry because that is sharing the knowledge and experience of qualified electricians that are bound to regulations.

But I do hope that give a little insight.

It is always best practice to seek professional, qualified help even if it costs you a hundred or 2 it's less pain then a burnt down house or injury to someone.

Totally understand, thank you so much for your insight!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @barydos 

Please keep us updated with your progress and if you run into any other issues, please don't hesitate to post a question. Our members will be more than happy to provide you with more advice and information.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Walzz
Building a Reputation

@barydos   Sorry I'm a bit late joining the conversation.
They are both satellite cables. 1. a coaxial cable running from the white wall plate to the satellite dish. 2. The bundled up cable is a motor control cable for remote steering of the dish so that it can access different satellites.  As these are TV antenna cables there is no legal requirement to engage an electrician to do the work, but if you are not confident doing it yourself by all means call a sparky!

In normal operation a satellite receiver sends around 13 volts DC up both cables to power the dish, and operate the remote steering motor. 
Without the satellite receiver connected there will be no power on either cable, and you can safely disconnect them.

My advice is to tape up the bare wires on the motor control cable and push it back into the wall. If there are spare screws on the wall plate you can refix the plate back on the wall to cover the existing cutout in the plasterboard. (If you ever want to reinstate the antenna system, everything is there)

Alternatively, you can unscrew the coaxial cable from the rear of the plate and push the cable into the wall cavity with the control cable.
A plasterboard repair can then be made to cover the hole, with no sign that a wall plate was ever there..

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects