Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What paint product is best to use with partially primed walls?

SensibleHill
Building a Reputation

What paint product is best to use with partially primed walls?

Hello! 

I have various surfaces to paint in my fixer-upper and have previously posted about the various surfaces I now need to prepare for painting.

This photo shows a bedroom that was previously primed, and most of the primer has remained leaving this texture. 

What is the best base paint layer that will smooth this out? I don’t have time to skim plaster this room and hoping there might be a paint product that will help. 

- I’ll use Dulux Precision on skim plastered walls

- I have 10L Dulux 3-in-1 available 

- A plasterer recommended Dulux Texture for these walls, to both prime and fill in all the bumps. 

I’m now confused and would appreciate your guidance!

For some background, all paint has been peeled off the walls, revealing large gouges that I’ve repaired, and revealing / creating lots of small gauges from the peeling tool - too many for spakfilla. 

IMG_5269.jpeg

IMG_5273.jpeg

  

Thanks! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What paint product is best to use with partially primed walls?

Hi @SensibleHill,

I think the short answer is that you either need to sand or skimcoat your walls to get a reasonable and smooth finish. You could use textured paint, but it has its own texture to it, so you're not going to end up with a smooth wall. If you don't mind a less-than-flat wall and can deal with the texture, applying any paint will smooth it out to a certain extent. However, you're not going to get perfect walls without sanding the surface back until it is smooth or skim-coating the whole wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much Mitchell. With a big job like this, a broken leg, and 5 weeks to move in its quite the job to prioritise! I think I’ll get one of my non-handy friends onto sanding :smile: 

cheers! 

Or, you could do a small test section @SensibleHill. Apply a coat of the Precision primer and then two topcoats of the wall paint. You might find the results quite reasonable.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects