Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled television cabinet with coastal vibe

Shaira
Building a Reputation

Upcycled television cabinet with coastal vibe

E94093EE-A2A0-4139-90EC-C8F742CC23BA.jpegA milestone to cherish 

i am a wife, a mother to a beautiful daughter. I am also an entrepreneur. I am a budding furniture artist. I do use my endless creativity and imagination to turn a sad, lonely, lifeless furniture into a beautiful, happy, entirely a different dimensional aspect of of freshness and elegance filled furniture. 

I have been on the business for about 4 years now and every working day has been a wonderful blessing where I get to create unique, one of a kind beautiful furniture pieces. 

B154ECC1-CC01-47A0-8DCA-D18EFE464532.jpeg

One day, I brought home was a second hand well used tv cabinet which I bought through gumtree.

Looking at the cabinet, the imaginative mode was activated on my mind and I could see so many possibilities for this cabinet. After a careful thought process I decided to keep it simple yet elegant and classy. 

As I have been painting furniture for a long time I have a decent  stock of so many resources I  have bought from Bunnings. Time to time I keep adding more paints or sanding paper or anything I need for my collection so I could easily work on more projects.

First thing first I always clean the furniture with a piece of cloth and soapy water. So this is what I did for this cabinet as well.

Once  it’s nicely dried I used my ozito brand sanding machine and 80 grit sanding paper to sand down the top of the cabinet and then I gave a gentle sanding to the rest of the cabinet. 

once the sanding part is done yes you guessed it right a big sigh of relief also followed 😀.

Then I did the prep by applying white paint. Leaving it to get dried I went on another quote. 

I wanted to apply a nice calming blue that would instantly help create a Costal vibe.

With  linen white rust oleum chalk paint I added some blue, a bit of olive green ( dulux) and some black paint and gave it a good mix until I got a satisfying Sea Vibed Blue.

Once the paint mixture is ready I painted the cabinet and it was so beautiful and I was very impressed with the look.

Once I added one more quote I waited it to get fully dried.

I left the top sanded and didn’t apply anything as I wanted it to have that raw look which would portray an image of soft sand on the beach. 

As a final touch I gave a gentle sanding on the painted cabinet to bring out the edges and corners so beautifully. I love the distressed, aged look of those edges and corners that they create a relaxed calming vibe. 

E94093EE-A2A0-4139-90EC-C8F742CC23BA.jpeg

906D6A0F-0212-4758-8FD0-64B55DCB4B3D.jpeg

5BC0C013-0EDE-477F-9887-BFCA9E0BD28F.jpeg

Once the cabinet is ready and beautiful photos are taken, I advertised it in my page and several other places and out of so many people who showed love and interest for this cabinet it was destined to go to a place where I never thought in a million years something like this would be possible.

B2A36624-0636-453A-A925-1FA959B8DE57.jpeg

This lovely cabinet gracefully went to one of my favourite cafés in town. If you haven’t visited French Riviera in Ellenbrook, WA yet you should go there for their amazing food and ambiance and then you would spot this small cabinet too 😍

09479588-26FF-4F09-BAFC-CEAD1A4DFA1C.jpeg

8AE48B22-7133-4DB3-8F36-49FFEA310FFD.jpeg

 I take pride in creating imaginative furniture that reflects passion, emotion, and feeling. Each piece is very special and has its own unique story and this has been one of my favourite memories of my furniture up- cycling journey 💗

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Upcycled television cabinet with coastal vibe

Hello @Shaira

Thank you so much for sharing your D.I.Y journey. I find that upcycling furniture is very addicting and at the same time very scary as every piece of furniture I see becomes a candidate for upcycling. It's amazing how long you've been doing your business. Thank you for sharing the steps you take when you upcycle your furniture. If the opportunity presents itself, I will try to pass by your favorite cafe.

Again, thank you for sharing your D.I.Y. journey.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Shaira
Building a Reputation

Thank you so much Eric appreciate the feedback 🙂

MonkeyLearn
Cultivating a Following

Looks amazing @Shaira 

Shaira
Building a Reputation

Thank you very much 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects