Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Restored Singer sewing table

touzelfam
Building a Reputation

Restored Singer sewing table

A beautifully restored Singer sewing table, with a brand new live edge tabletop and a working treadle. 

Materials

Rustoleum paint in Satin black 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/rust-oleum-340g-canyon-black-satin-2x-ultra-cover-paint-prime-spray-pain...

Gold paint - https://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-design-gold-effect-paint_p1400916

Wood glue

Reclaimed timber 

Wire brushes to strip off rust 

Tools

Steps

Step 1

IMG_2650.jpeg

Pull apart table and wire brush metal parts to remove rust. 
Use wood glue to reattach veneer. Lightly sand wood in preparation for paint. 
Paint timber and iron in satin black. Detail work (Singer logo, drawer knobs and motif) painted in matte gold. 
Make a router sliding jig to reduce reclaimed timber to desired width (the days before the thicknesser!). Sand all surfaces but be careful to retain live edge. 
Pour epoxy resin onto tabletop to finish and sand and polish until satisfied. 
Reassemble all pieces. 

Step 2

IMG_2642.jpeg

Step 3

IMG_2648.jpeg

Live edge! 

Step 4

IMG_2645.jpeg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Restored Singer table

Hi @touzelfam 

Very nice restoration  thanks for sharing.  :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @touzelfam. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your wonderful project.

What a terrific transformation into a functional and aesthetically pleasing piece of furniture. It's so amazing to see you make use of this dated piece and give it a new lease on life. I absolutely love the live-edge timber you've used and the black for the frame; a great contrast between the warmth of the timber and the paint.

Many thanks for sharing and we look forward to hearing all about your other projects and plans around the house and garden.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
touzelfam
Building a Reputation

Thanks so much! It’s become my favourite piece of furniture in our house. It’s really special 

Thank you! My husband did it all - it’s now my favourite piece of furniture!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects