Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need advice on paint colours and accessories

oneteaspoon
Growing in Experience

Need advice on paint colours and accessories

I wish I knew where to start. Completely redoing my bedroom and looking for advice, ideas, thoughts on painting an accent wall. Looking to create a coastal, minimalist, eclectic oasis. 

A quick backstory… My bedroom has never just been a bedroom. Over the years it’s been my study, my online business, stock room, and fish & turtle tank room. 

In August last year I had to send my furbaby, Ruby, over to rainbow bridge. She was on borrowed time but it was sudden and still unexpected. She showed me how short life is and I should be spending my time doing things I enjoy. So I sold my online business, all the stock, decluttered to the max.

This brings me to why I’m here. I decided that as my bedroom is now just a bedroom I wanted to completely redesign it. So I have ordered a custom platform bedframe made with recycled hardwood with a 2.7m long x 1.1m high mitred headboard and also a 2m x 1m floor mirror in the same wood. Here is a photo of the colouring of the bedframe & mirror 

IMG_2757.jpeg

I also taped out the pieces as I am a visual person.

IMG_0644.jpeg

IMG_3125.jpeg

The window is north facing and get Amazing sun shine in the morning. I had wanted to keep the outer shutters installed and left open however, it will depend on how the mirror fits.

This is the frame print I have that will go above the bed 

IMG_2873.jpeg

 I have just installed the super fresco easy beadboard paintable wallpaper on the wall where the bedhead will go. 

IMG_3235.jpeg

My intentions were to paint it a blue colour with grey undertones and my inspiration image was this one 

IMG_2908.jpeg

However as I continued to look at blue bedroom walls on Pinterest I noticed that all the bed linen is white. I can’t keep anything white clean so there is no chance of a plain white bedspread. 

While I want to create a coastal oasis… I also want to bring more randomness of me to the room. The bed head has no built in side tables and my plan is to find some acrylic side tables so that the sunlight will bounce off them and reflect rainbow colours on the bedframe and walls. Also I’m not a fan of a solid colour bedspread. I need something with a pinstripe or print because I’m likely to stain it and if it’s a solid colour it will be more noticeable than if on a print. 

Finally to my dilemma. Do I just go for it and paint to the accent wall, a blue colour, which intern will limit the vibrancy of bedlinen that I can choose or do I stick with more of a neutral colour, and therefore can choose any colour bedlinen. 

Here are some examples of bedlinen I am loving at the moment 

IMG_3399.jpeg

IMG_8503.jpeg

IMG_3400.jpeg

I’m sorry for the long post but any advice to help

me make a decision is greatly appreciated. I’m on a time crunch too as the bedframe & mattress are being delivered at the start of October & if I’m painting I’d like to get it done before the install. 

Re: Need advice on paint colours and accessories

I think you mean removing the carpet not the concrete as it’s a concrete slab. 

I would love to put a floating floor down but I worry that the wood in the flooring might clash with the wood in the bedframe. 

IMG_2002.jpeg

this is the drawing of the bedframe

IMG_2950.jpeg

this is also The view I will have from the bed and as I said in the original post I’d love to keep the shutters and leave them opened to create another element but I’ll have to wait. However I’ll always have bare windows. 

I was thinking as it’s only my bedroom that is ready to be cleaned I would hire the carpet cleaner from Bunnings. Any personal reviews ?

@oneteaspoon,

You can find ratings and reviews of the Britex Carpet Cleaner on the Bunnings website.

Hiope that helps,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hello @oneteaspoon,

Great to see you've received some advice from our members already about your bedroom makeover. I also wanted to recommend having a look at these 8 ways to bring coastal style to your home if you're still after some project inspiration.

Also tagging @selva to see if they have any thoughts. They also completed a coastal-themed bedroom makeover with a beautiful feature wall. 

Please do keep us updated on how your project progresses. We'd love to see how you end up transforming your bedroom.

Akanksha

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @oneteaspoon 

I used it in my last rental property before I left, and it works quite well. My suggestion is to hold off on the carpet cleaner especially if you are still going to be doing any sanding, painting and carpentry in the area. It would be a shame to get the carpet all dirty again if you had to do all that work. Plus, in order to maximize the hire, I would do the entire house or the areas with carpet in them. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects