Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need advice on paint colours and accessories

oneteaspoon
Growing in Experience

Need advice on paint colours and accessories

I wish I knew where to start. Completely redoing my bedroom and looking for advice, ideas, thoughts on painting an accent wall. Looking to create a coastal, minimalist, eclectic oasis. 

A quick backstory… My bedroom has never just been a bedroom. Over the years it’s been my study, my online business, stock room, and fish & turtle tank room. 

In August last year I had to send my furbaby, Ruby, over to rainbow bridge. She was on borrowed time but it was sudden and still unexpected. She showed me how short life is and I should be spending my time doing things I enjoy. So I sold my online business, all the stock, decluttered to the max.

This brings me to why I’m here. I decided that as my bedroom is now just a bedroom I wanted to completely redesign it. So I have ordered a custom platform bedframe made with recycled hardwood with a 2.7m long x 1.1m high mitred headboard and also a 2m x 1m floor mirror in the same wood. Here is a photo of the colouring of the bedframe & mirror 

IMG_2757.jpeg

I also taped out the pieces as I am a visual person.

IMG_0644.jpeg

IMG_3125.jpeg

The window is north facing and get Amazing sun shine in the morning. I had wanted to keep the outer shutters installed and left open however, it will depend on how the mirror fits.

This is the frame print I have that will go above the bed 

IMG_2873.jpeg

 I have just installed the super fresco easy beadboard paintable wallpaper on the wall where the bedhead will go. 

IMG_3235.jpeg

My intentions were to paint it a blue colour with grey undertones and my inspiration image was this one 

IMG_2908.jpeg

However as I continued to look at blue bedroom walls on Pinterest I noticed that all the bed linen is white. I can’t keep anything white clean so there is no chance of a plain white bedspread. 

While I want to create a coastal oasis… I also want to bring more randomness of me to the room. The bed head has no built in side tables and my plan is to find some acrylic side tables so that the sunlight will bounce off them and reflect rainbow colours on the bedframe and walls. Also I’m not a fan of a solid colour bedspread. I need something with a pinstripe or print because I’m likely to stain it and if it’s a solid colour it will be more noticeable than if on a print. 

Finally to my dilemma. Do I just go for it and paint to the accent wall, a blue colour, which intern will limit the vibrancy of bedlinen that I can choose or do I stick with more of a neutral colour, and therefore can choose any colour bedlinen. 

Here are some examples of bedlinen I am loving at the moment 

IMG_3399.jpeg

IMG_8503.jpeg

IMG_3400.jpeg

I’m sorry for the long post but any advice to help

me make a decision is greatly appreciated. I’m on a time crunch too as the bedframe & mattress are being delivered at the start of October & if I’m painting I’d like to get it done before the install. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need advice on paint colours and accessories

Hi @oneteaspoon

I can't see any reason why you couldn't go with the blue accent wall, as it will certainly help create the coastal vibe. It will limit some choices for linen, but considering you're loving the bright and vibrant look, I think you can make it work. Also, consider other options for the wall, like a pale green or seafoam colour, as they might lend themselves to more options bedlinen-wise without clashing with them. I think the key here is to tie the wall colour to the linen choice, so with a blue wall, you'd want to choose bed linens with some subtle blues.

With a neutral accent wall, you'll have more freedom to select bed linens with a wide range of colours, including the vibrant ones you've shown. You can easily bring in coastal elements with your decor and accessories, such as seashell-inspired decorations, driftwood accents, or coastal-themed artwork.

Remember that personalising your space is key, so choose colours and patterns that you like and make you feel comfortable and relaxed in your newly transformed bedroom. You can always add pops of colour with throw pillows, artwork, and rugs, regardless of the wall colour you choose.

Have you ever created a mood board? They can be really helpful for laying out your overall aesthetic and are a great tool to organise your colours and textures and help guide the design process.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @MitchellMc for the reply. 

I haven’t made a designated mood board. I have photos I’ve pinned, on my camera roll and anywhere else possible. I also wouldn’t even know how to make a mood board but I think I should as I am a visual person and need to be able to visualise it.

Any tips on making a mood board, apps to help maybe?

oneteaspoon
Growing in Experience

EDIT*** Also as you can see the carpet is in terrible condition. It’s been there since the place was built back in 2007 and considering I would like a large rug as another focal point at the end of the bed I’ve even thought about ripping it up and just leaving the concrete underneath and get an even larger rug to cover it all. 

Hi @oneteaspoon,

Let me see if I can bring some experienced renovators and decorators into the discussion to add their thoughts: 

@redbournreno@sandy_d@lifestylebymari@TheSparrowHome and @Renowayoflife.

Jason

You might like to check out this helpful guide @oneteaspoon: Project planning 101. Within it, they provide details on constructing a mood board. Digital versions are an option, but there's nothing like moving a physical board around the room to check how well colours and textures work in different locations.

If you keep the carpet, you might hire a carpet cleaner to ensure it looks its best. Removing it and leaving the concrete could be a move, but you'd want to take a sneak peek at the condition of the concrete before committing to such an idea. What about removing the concrete and laying timber floating flooring? Something like this Floor Select 8mm 2.69m² Hella Oak Dark Water Resistant Laminate Flooring would lend itself well to the coastal theme.

Mitchell

TheSparrowHome
Having an Impact

Hi there, my golden rule is there are no rules! If you like it, do it.

I love a feature wall and blue is a very versatile colour. 

I would suggest If you are looking for a more calm fun space choose colours on the same side of the colour wheel, like other blues, purples & greens and if you want something more earthy/moody, choose opposites like rust (orange), deep reds and browns.

The possibilities are endless.

I use Canva for all my moodboards - essentially I just collate the images. If you need any assistance feel free to find us in Instagram and I can take you through using Canva.

IMG_1062.jpeg

IMG_5423.jpeg

IMG_8690.jpeg

Thanks Jason! Always happy to help. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @oneteaspoon

I like that bedhead! Looks pretty stylish. While reading through your question I was thinking of lighting for your room and how it can change the colouring depending on the light, warm light verse a colder white stark light. I wander through lighting stores sometimes just to get ideas on colours of bulbs. You can change say a bedside table lamp to a warmer light colour so evenings feel cosier or go fo that bright white look and keep the colours you choose. 

Just something to add to the mood board :smile:

Dave 

oneteaspoon
Growing in Experience

IMG_3149.jpeg

 Completely agree with you on the lighting… I rarely use the one down light in my room, it’s a warm white but SOO bright. I am loving this globe from Bunnings it’s a blue ombre glass but I can only find the pink balloon shaped one. Also I was thinking of doing something like this with lights hanging from the ceiling, obviously not as many but instead of getting an electrician I would have battery powered globes that I can control via my phone. 

IMG_3438.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects