Workshop
Ask a question

Modern bedside drawers makeover

TaylerMayd
Having an Impact

Modern bedside drawers makeover

I wanted to modernise these dated orange bedsides & give them a fresh coastal look. A video of this transformation is on my Instagram: @ taylermayd_

IMG_0779.jpeg

Materials

- Tricleaneum

- Zinsser primer

- Dulux paint

- Cabot’s Cabothane matt poly

- Feast Watson liming white

- Rustoleum spray paint

- sandpaper

- Woodfiller

- tape

Tools

- AEG orbital sander

- carbide scraper

- drill

- paint roller, brush, sponge

Steps

Step 1

Give the drawers a good clean and remove existing hardware. 

G1.jpeg

Step 2

Prep the drawers for painting. To do this, use a carbide scraper to remove the clear coat and scuff sand using an orbital sander. All the finish needs to be removed from the top. Fill minor dents and imperfections with wood filler.

G2.jpegG3.jpeg

Step 3

After cleaning again, tape the edges and apply primer using a brush and roller. Once the primer is dry, apply your paint colour. Lightly sand between coats for a smooth finish.

G4.jpeg

G5.jpeg

Step 4

Once the paint is completely dry, seal with a clear top coat for added durability. I used Cabot's clear water-based poly in matt. For the tops I used Feast Watson Liming White stain varnish, for a coastal feel.

IMG_0444.jpeg

Step 5

I reused the existing handles. Before putting them back on I gave them a good clean and sprayed them with a fresh coat of matt black Rustoleum spray paint. Here’s how they turned out :smile:

IMG_0427.jpeg

IMG_0484.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Modern bedside makeover

Hello @TaylerMayd 

Thank you very much for sharing the details of your bedside table makeover. They look absolutely fantastic, and the coastal vibe really stands out with the timber top finish. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Modern bedside makeover

Thank you @EricL :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects