Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What screws are used to install ceiling curtain tracks on the frame(metal)?

Leg9on
Just Starting Out

What screws are used to install ceiling curtain tracks on the frame(metal)?

I'm looking to install ikea ceiling curtain rails. Not sure what screws needs to used for installing on ceiling. Can please get some screws which can be install on the metal frame, Thanks! I think it's risky to install on drywall with wallmate

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What screws are used to install ceiling curtain tracks on the frame(metal)?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Leg9on. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing to steel studs.

What sort of weight will these curtains be? Typically, when fixing into steel studs, you'd either use self-tapping metal screws or expanding toggles. As long as there were a minimum of four fixings per rail and the curtains were under 5kg, there shouldn't be any issues using the screws. Anything above that, and you'd need to consider using toggles and speaking with the steel stud manufacturer to ensure they are capable of supporting the load.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi, Mitchell
Thanks for your quickly reply!
I just have few more questions, If the steel structure of the house could be found, would using self-tapping screws to fix it there be more sturdier than using something like expanding toggles?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Leg9on,

My advice above is for the steel structure. Either the metal screws or toggles can be used in it. The toggles, designed for plasterboard, are often used in steel framing, though they require a much larger hole placed in the plasterboard and steel.

You are correct that it would be best to fix your brackets into the steel structure instead of the plasterboard. 

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi again @Leg9on,

I thought I'd also mention, for your and the readers of this discussion's benefit, that we offer In-home window finishing installation. This includes curtains, blinds, or shutters that can be face or recess-mounted. It's certainly a convenient option if you are in doubt about fixing methods.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects