Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to update tiled flooring?

Sugar
Having an Impact

How to update tiled flooring?

Hi guys, hope you all had a good break and a happy new year to you all.

I am returning to do a DIY project after a long time. 

The major projects are as follows: 

• Flooring
  • Kitchen reno ( Benchtop changing, cabinet (fresh paint or new), sink change, splashback installation and appliances ( oven and dishwasher) installation
  • Laundry
  • Ensuite

we are starting with flooring first (correct me if this needs to be second to Kitchen reno)

Flooring : This is a 30-year-old house and never changed tiles before. There are dummy tiles in plenty of places. We wanted to install new tiles but removing the tiles and installing the new tiles is too much work and going to be costly. Hence, we decided to go with easier and economical way (if possible). We are planning to go with Timber flooring, but I am not sure what is the difference between Laminate Flooring and Hybrid Flooring, and what should I pick up? Is it possible to lay timber flooring on top of tiles and will they reduce the drummy sound once they are installed? I had a guy come in to inspect and he had suggested anything above 6mm will compensate for the drum 

sound, and he was too expensive :).  I have seen so many people who have done it themselves and I think we can do it also. Although we have plenty of posts about it, I thought of creating this from fresh.

What tools do we need?

We have a second living room with carpet, how we transition from timber flooring to carpet flooring?

How to manage the cutting around skirting ?

How to do the beading and why do we need this?

What needs to be careful before choosing the timer product (Laminate/Hybrid)?

IMG_E1059.JPGIMG_E1060.JPGIMG_E1061.JPGIMG_E1062.JPGIMG_E1063.JPGIMG_E1064.JPGIMG_E1065.JPGIMG_E1066.JPGIMG_E1067.JPG

thank you in advance. 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Timer flooring, where to start from

Hi @Sugar  to kick of your converstion

Your tiles will provide a great flat starting platform for any flooring  The only down side is enrty to  the rooms will have a  little step for new floor height and the doors may need to be shaved to new floor height.

But  for drummy  the solution rests on a good underlay. But it wont be silent.

Qep 2mm Ixpe Acoustic Pro Underlay

5 (1)

I/N: 0343899

$73.50

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to update tiled flooring?

Hi @Sugar,

Happy New Year to you, too!

The difference between laminate and hybrid flooring is that Hybrid is the newer technology and is waterproof, so no worries about spills on it, unlike laminate. I'd recommend you go with Hybrid, and here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to install Hybrid vinyl floorboards.

When you say lay timber flooring, Hybrid flooring is not timber. Laminate flooring is typically MDF with a thin timber or picture veneer. I would not call either "timber" flooring. It would typically be best to remove the drummy tiles, add adhesive and glue them back down. This would be better than having the flooring try to conceal them.

Just be careful if you are considering a cabinetry change. If you install your flooring and then change to smaller cabinets, you'll be left with an unsightly gap in the flooring.

You'll transition from the flooring to the carpet with a cover strip.

Cutting the flooring can be done with a circular saw and fine-toothed blade. However, the skirting needs to be removed, the laminate or Hybrid flooring installed to the wall and then skirting installed back over it. There needs to be an expansion gap at the wall. If you were to add the flooring up to the existing skirting, you'd be forced to leave a sizeable gap, which would look unsightly. Another option is beading. Install the flooring up to the skirting and allow for the expansion gap. The beading is installed over the gap to hide it. The beading is fixed to the skirting boards.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects