Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a burnt carpet?

neter
Just Starting Out

How to repair a burnt carpet?

Hello, my carpet is burnt, Can you please guide how can I fix this which tools do i need. Thanksb9188a75-3924-4811-8087-dab43328bdc2-e73dbd308152acd80fee69036517b7ac.jpeg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Repair Burn Carpet

Hi @neter 

If  that  carpet is truly melted together down deep there is not a lot  to help that spot.  

1 , Cover the spot with rug.

2  Try  using a kitchen fork  and hold it upright and  try to rake  the fibres free from each other if they lightly fussed. So  scuff up the melted patch  it may work If only top fibres lightly fussed the carpet will never  look as good again sorry to say.  If the carpet responds and starts fluffing up again you may end up with some pilling  (little balls of fluff on top of the carpet) after wards use a face shaver and shaver the pilling off gently evenly.  Some times work in case of fresh glue dropped too  or chewing gum.

3  Last ditched effort not for the faint hearted this may ruin your  carpet 100% and maybe better to leave melted spot  until the time you replace carpets.

If you have spare carpet of the same (I burnt the carpet black in a hand size spot as a  kid science experiment gone wrong I thought my parents would kill me lol)  So I used  a fresh super sharp box type cutter and cut out the burnt section of carpet in  a square shape is  easiest. I then laided out the cut out bit on the spare carpet matching the  pattern position too and cut  a  2mm larger all round new carpet patch and glued it in with araldite fluffing the edges together know  one ever noticed todate I could see it though Gulp. , The  slighly larger size sprung out wards making a neat compressed fit to carpet surrounds.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to repair a burnt carpet?

Sorry to hear about your burnt carpet, @neter. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will also be happy to provide some advice as soon as he can. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Trust you'll find it a useful resource for all your home improvement and garden projects. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need a hand getting the most out of the site.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repair Burn Carpet

Hi @neter 

If you are looking for a seamless repair, then that's a job for a professional. They'll be able to take a piece from somewhere else, like a cupboard, and cut out the damage and glue in the new section.

It's possible to do this yourself, but it's a little difficult to match the pattern and your repair will likely be noticeable.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to repair a burnt carpet?

Afternoon @neter 

Ouch! 😕 Thats about all that I can say.

I have melted my nylon carpet to a sheet of plastic by leaving a 1500 Halogen flood light sitting on the floor when I was painting one time.

The carpet wasnt as compressed as your instance is but I did manage to fix it by using a brand new blade of a safty knife and giving the carpet a hair cut just below the melted part.... Not confidant it will work in your instance but could be used as a last resort.

Slow and steady and maybe practice on a piece of spare carpet you may have to get a feel for it.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects