Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to suspend model train from ceiling?

deb4981
Getting Established

How to suspend model train from ceiling?

Finished projectFinished project

To save space in our kids' play room, we would like to install some sort of suspension model train from the ceiling, like the one in the picture. We're just not sure about what material we could use to lay under the track itself. I'm not sure what they used in this photo, it was an old one I found on the Internet, but we'd like to do something similar that can accomodate bends (room corners). 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Suspended Train Set.jpeg

Re: Model Train Suspension from Ceiling

Hi @deb4981 

@darrkon79   train setup looks the simplest and strongest to  build  not to meantion  pleasing to the eye addition to the room, 

darrkon79
Getting Established

Re: How to suspend model train from ceiling?

Thanks guys.

I’ve attached a few pictures with the lights up. The light strip is some 10M Arlec grid connect from Bunnings. It’s not quite long enough to go around all four sides of the room so I’ve settled for three sides (not sure if I can extend this past 10M)

In the corners I used the included joining strips to move the lights from the top to the edge since you can’t easily bend the strip horizontally. 
I’ve also used adhesive clips to attach, not the backing strip so it’s easier to remove/adjust.

IMG_3173.jpeg

IMG_3174.jpeg

IMG_3176.jpeg

Cheers

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @darrkon79 

Seriously want this as a kid! :smile: Love the effort you have gone to in creating it :smile: Even as an adult id just be happy sitting back watching the train trundle around the track! :smile:

It looks straight out of a storybook!

Dave

That's one of the best things I've ever seen @darrkon79! Well done, and thanks ever so much for sharing your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @deb4981 , ( this is just a personal viewpoint, not advice): although I agree  with @Jewelleryrescue that the design of @darrkon79 would be easiest to build, strong and looks great, I find that the view of looking up at the sleepers overhanging the steel (or other material as suggested by @MitchellMc ) support adds a sense of drama to the look of project.  Which effect you choose will depend on where it's going and the effect that you want of course.

stackhat
Cultivating a Following

Re: Model Train Suspension from Ceiling

@darrkon79 & @deb4981  You guys have to stop. You’re making all the other parents look bad! Haha. Well done though. I’ve always wanted to do something like this but with Scaletrix. Maybe if I snag the 200 million powerball next week…

darrkon79
Getting Established

Hey @TedBear - 100% I agree the original picture looks more professional and almost somehow realistic, especially with that exposed sleeper type track. I suspect it is as was suggested two layers of MDF with thin ply to form the box shaped support section.

I am not sure how stability would work suspending something like that from metal rods either - It must work though as it is not the only suspended layout I have seen online for sure. Other people suggested i should make the track shelf floating with I guess metal rods into the beams and holes into the side of the shelf so there is no visible bracket.

When tacking this project though - one of the main considerations was simplicity and ease of build. If this was going to require very precise cutting and accuracy it would end in frustration. I was able to go from a couple of test brackets with a plank of wood to the finished project between the 9th of December and late January in my spare time only. I had to buy and learn to use a Jigsaw for this project!

As it was, trying to use a doweling jig so that I could have dowels between each board section was giving me heart palpitations from frustration. In the end I re-did all of the dowels twice using two different types of jig and they still don't line up very accurately. But I went with the old saying 'Do your best, silicone the rest' and just pushed on. The track is not exactly centered on the shelf, but the shelf is wide enough to accommodate some leeway and still keep things working. Also the track I have used 'Lionel FasTrack' although costly and only available from US (Amazon), it clicks together and is very strong when making fine adjustments, it won't kink or buckle like other exposed sleeper track types.

I ran our larger Christmas train 'The Polar Express' up here to check track clearances etc.. and dang - a big train with a lot of details and illuminated carriages REALLY looked awesome running around the room. I think Thomas will be relegated to a crash test train and we will replace him with something a bit nicer.CeilingTrain038.jpg

Cheers!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects