Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop sofa lifting up when I sit on the edge?

kartheesh
Cultivating a Following

How to stop sofa lifting up when I sit on the edge?

Hi Team

I am having this rattan sofa but then have an issue when i sit specially on the edge it lifts up from the back not sure why this is happening. Is it because it's lightweight and what can be done to resolve this say a bush or something would it work?Sofa 1.jpegSofa 2.jpeg

Thanks

Raj

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop sofa lifting up when I sit on the edge?

Hello @kartheesh 

I believe the rounded front edge of the rattan sofa is what's causing it to tip over when you sit at the front edge. I suggest adding Jack 100 x 15mm On-Site Rubber Anti Vibration Mat on each side of the curved front and securing it with Crescent 300 x 8mm Black Heavy Duty Cable Ties. This should prevent the sofa from tipping over when you sit at the front edge.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @kartheesh , I agree with @EricL regarding the cause of the problem. The front of the seat is too far forward of where the cane base leaves the floor, such that the front has no weight bearing support. I would be looking at buying a broom handle (or two)  that is similar in colour to the cane. I'd cut it to length so that the back aligns with the back of the lashing on the bottom (just so it looks like it belongs, rather than some random spot) and the front extends foward to be even with the front of the actual seat. It won't extend very far forward, so will be hardly noticeable, but will support the seat at the front.

Round off the front end of the handle if there isn't a rounded end. I would then drill 3 holes through it and use 3 chrome screws long enough to pass through the handle plus one and a half of the 2 cane supports of the seat frame. When you're satisfied that the positioning now stops the chair from rotating forward, I suggest that you turn it upside down and put Liquid Nails in the gap between the handle and the cane to prevent it coming apart over time as the seat is used. If you put lacquer on the broom handle it should blend in with the cane and look like it was always meant to be there.  (Put one on each end of the seat of course.)

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Scan1424.jpg

kartheesh
Cultivating a Following

Thanks a lot @EricL and @TedBear great i gotto know the issue and will give it a go with the broom handle option and see how it goes. Once again thanks a lot mates :smile:

kartheesh
Cultivating a Following

Thanks a lot mate you made it so easier to understand you are just awesome :smile:

Hi @kartheesh , just to clarify,  my suggestion was to attach the broomstick horizontally along the floor, rather than vertically as pictured by @Noyade, since it will be gentler on the floor itself, however there's no technical reason I can see why the vertical way wouldn't work too if you find it looks better. (If so maybe add a rubber end stop.) Additionally, perhaps you could find some length of  bamboo or cane that matches the lounge, depending on what's available in your area, which would blend in better than the broomstick. (But that could be harder to attach since it is likely to split when screws go through.)

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good afternoon @kartheesh 

Just throwing another idea into the mix :smile: 

How about a rubber stopper at the front, at the base of the curved cane? One of these may suit  Rubber stoppers 

Used either side at the front would stop the chair from pitching forward as @EricL suggests and also @TedBear and @Noyade have similar ideas that all stop it rotaing forward.

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Here's a metal equivalent. It was an old metal chair frame left on a nature-strip which I took home and replaced the wood slats.

With a beer in hand I tested it out - and leant back.

In the blink of an eye I was sprawled on the concrete, flat on my back drenched in beer.

The solution, apart from hanging onto your beer glass tighter, was to weld a piece of angle-iron onto the curved section - moving the chair's fulcrum from A to B (50mm). It's amazing what a small shift in the fulcrum will do to the centre of gravity. I'm not sure why manufacturers make curved sections on chairs like this.

20230817_104742.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects