Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop condensation on windows?

vng
Getting Established

How to stop condensation on windows?

Been having a lot of condensation on the inside of windows. Would the dry function on my split system help or just make the place colder ?

or perhaps a dehumidifier ?

or added weather seals around the windows ?  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Should I be using my dry function on split system in winter ?

Hi @vng 

Thanks for sharing your question about using the dry mode on your split system.

Using the dry function on a split system air conditioner during winter depends on your specific needs and the climate in your area. The dry function on an air conditioner is designed to reduce humidity levels in the room without significantly cooling the air.

If you live in an area where winter air is dry and indoor humidity levels are comfortable, you may not need to use the dry function. However, if your indoor air feels excessively humid during winter, using the dry function can help maintain a more comfortable environment.

But, if you find that the air in your home feels clammy or sticky during winter due to indoor activities like cooking, showering, or laundry, using the dry function occasionally can help improve overall comfort.

Ultimately, the decision to use the dry function on your split system during winter depends on your personal preferences, local climate conditions, and indoor comfort requirements. If you're unsure, you might consider experimenting with the dry function to see if it helps improve your indoor environment, especially when heavy condensation occurs on the windows. It's also a good idea to refer to your air conditioner's user manual for specific guidance on using the dry function.

In regards to the dehumidifier, I would only recommend using one if the humidity in the home is truly starting to get out of hand. Excessive use of a dehumidifier actually makes the air very uncomfortable and will sometimes aggravate nasal passages.

Using seals is always a plus as it keeps the temperature in your house stable and prevents cold air from passing through air gaps in your windows and doors.  

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to keep your home warm in winter by @Adam_W. It has a section about seals that you'll find handy.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects