Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop bleed through primer when painting furniture?

dchur
Building a Reputation

How to stop bleed through primer when painting furniture?

Hey team,

We picked up a small coffee table from someone and have stripped it back to mostly bare wood from the black, red, grey paints that were on it (it's very old!).

Unsure what the wood is but it's relatively light and looks brownish/red. Our plan is to put a mat black paint on the legs and a poly stain on the top.

Today we put an oil based primer on one panel and immediately saw some pink come through which we all know what that means!

Unsure where to go from here with the rest of the legs/beams. My concern is that even though we are going to be using a black paint so the colour of the bleed through won't matter, my concern is that the mattness of the paint will be removed by any bleed through.

Do we do a second primer coat? Use a shellac? Throw it in the bin and buy something? 

thanks team.

Raw wood sanded back up to 240 grit on the topRaw wood sanded back up to 240 grit on the topportion of the primer on the beam where you can see the pinkportion of the primer on the beam where you can see the pinkthe primerthe primer

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop bleed through primer when painting furniture?

Hello @dchur 

Thank you so much for posting that update on your furniture re-painting project. What a stunning finish, can you please tell me what paint brand you used on the legs and tabletop of the furniture? It looks as if the dark matt colour of the legs is absorbing all the light giving it such a classy look. 

In regards to putting on one more coat of polly, I agree with @MitchellMc on lightly sanding the surface before applying that third coat. 

Again, thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dchur
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric.

The paint we used on the legs is "White Knight 250ml Black Flat Water Based Splashes Interior Paint" to give it that matt look.

As for the stain we just used cabots poly water based and it turned up a treat.

It has been several days, I guess there isn't an issue if we do a 3rd coat now? I just want to clear up those annoying brush marks :unhappy:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dchur 

My only other suggestion is to use a high-quality brush when doing your final coat. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects