Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stain varnish?

Narla
Building a Reputation

How to stain varnish?

Hi all. I am hoping to get advice on how I can darken this vanished pine box without having to remove the existing vanish. I believe Bunnings don’t do gel stains so wondering what I could use to achieve a result that still shows grain but is closer to a black/brown stain? Thanks all:)

IMG_2884.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Staining over vanish

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Narla. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about staining over varnish.

I'd recommend you use a stain and varnish combination. Since the stain is mixed into the varnish, it doesn't need to soak into the timber. I recommend something similar to Chocolate Walnut or Black Japan for a black/brown appearance. You will still need to remove any gloss finish with 240-grit sandpaper so the box has a dull appearance, but you don't need to remove the varnish completely.

Let me mention a few of our knowledgeable members, @daniknight4, @Renowayoflife and @prettyliving, to see if they have any other suggestions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Narla
Building a Reputation

Re: Staining over vanish

Thanks very much @MitchellMc :smile: I was looking at the Black Japan earlier so sounds good! Thanks for including additional members for advice 

Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to stain varnish?

Hi @Narla ,

This looks like a fun project and great colour choice. I have just done my floors in Feast Watson Black and I just love dark stains.

I have an easy hack for removing varnish and that's oven cleaner. If you spray it on quite heavy and leave it for 30-60 mins (wear a mask) you then hose it off and let the wood completely dry before sanding. I have found this takes off most of the varnish and reduces the sanding time and gives you a more even finish.

I love chocolate brown and black, make sure to share the end result.

x

Claire 

Claire 

TT

IG 

Blog

Narla
Building a Reputation

Thanks for the great tip, Claire! @Renowayoflife I attempted to start it over the weekend but think I’ve done something wrong lol. I sanded it down then cleaned it with soapy water then once dry attempted to do a first coat on the top using a micro fibre cloth, which was suggested when I purchased the stain. Long story short,  I ended up wasting about half the 250ml can as I either was applying it incorrectly ( it was quite sticky and think I was rubbing it in too much and going over parts which was then removing it) and maybe didn’t sand it enough? I ended up removing 99% of it with meth spirits. I’d love to know your advice on where you think I’ve gone wrong and best way to apply :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Narla,

Could you let us know what product you used? It sounds like it might have been just a stain, which requires you to sand back to bare timber, unlike a stain and varnish combo where you don't.

Mitchell

Narla
Building a Reputation

Hey @MitchellMc  I used the Feast Watson Black Japan stain and vanish combo and sanded with the 240grit sandpaper. Maybe I didn’t sand back enough? Thanks:)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Not sanding enough could have potentially been the issue @Narla. Although, the instructions suggest you only need to sand to a dull finish.  

Application with a microfibre cloth is not a suitable technique for varnishes. It should be with a brush or roller. Cloths are typically used for stains, not stains and varnish combos. A cloth will smear the varnish across the surface and potentially remove it from areas where you've already applied it, whereas a brush or roller won't. I'd recommend you try a brush or roller for application.

Since you've used half the can, you likely don't have enough left to complete the project. I'll reach out via private message to get some details from you and contact the store to arrange a new can for you.

I do apologise for this inconvenience.

Mitchell

Hi @Narla 

Sorry for the delay.

So here are my thoughts.

The stain and varnish is going to be sticky, from the. varnish. For this reason you can't keep going over the same area as it will get sticky and the finish result will not be very smooth. I would also never use a microfibre cloth, although I'm not a pro. I actually just use a cheap old chux. 

I have just used a stain and varnish on our upcycled vanity, I used the chux. I dipped the cloth into the stain and varnish and rang it out then applied it to the wood. I then rubbed over it going with the grain to ensure good coverage. You need to go straight over it as it gets sticky pretty quickly.

I then put the chux in a bag and twisted the top to keep it 'wet' for the next application. I left it dry for 3 hours, it was a little humid when I stained so it took a little longer. I didn't have any rough sections but if you do use a sanding block run over it to prep it for the next application. I applied 3 coats to mine as it's a vanity so needed the added protection.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Happy DIYing 

Claire 

TT

IG 

Blog

Narla
Building a Reputation

Thanks so much @Renowayoflife. It’s great to learn about methods and options re what materials do and don’t work:)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects