Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair and stain timber fireplace?

oliviamay
Getting Established

How to repair and stain timber fireplace?

FEC730F4-DC49-4395-BF8C-2E1A616EF3AB.jpeg

977E8D95-369D-4DB0-BBD8-5754B85DBE46.jpeg

81633259-C90C-4628-B939-E97D03A217F7.jpeg

This wooden fireplace was damaged by a teething puppy. Looking for ideas - how repair and match the stain/taint (have been unsuccessful chipping off a piece to colour match).

Any recommendations welcome.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to fix wooden fireplace damage/ matching stain/taint

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @oliviamay. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing and staining timber.

As you've found out, it's not possible to colour-match stained timber as it is not one solid colour. The colour match must be done by eye, and the closest available stain needs to be chosen. Unfortunately, it's hard enough to determine the correct stain even when you have the exact same original timber, and that's because the available stains will look different on the sample versus your timber. Further, you won't be trying to find a colour match for the stain on timber but, worse, timber putty. So the question would be, how do you stain the timber putty you've used to repair the section to match the existing stained timber? There is not really much chance of getting a perfect match, but you might be able to come close. A professional antique restorer would mix up their own stain and try many different variations to arrive at the best solution. The colour appears to have quite a bit of red undertones, so I suggest taking a look at Feast Watson stain and varnish in deep Jarrah or, potentially, Prooftint in Mahogany. The Mahogany might be a bit too purple.

You can use Timbermate 250g Pine Wood Filler to repair the damaged sections, and it will take a few applications allowing drying time in between to build up the missing corner. 

I would suggest that this damage will always be noticeable, yet less so than it currently is. If you were looking for a close-to-perfect result, I would suggest enlisting the services of a professional antique restorer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Mitchell that’s really helpful and thorough information and advice. Really appreciate it!

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to repair and stain timber fireplace?

Good afternoon @oliviamay 

Ouch! and I have had a piece of timber go the same way with a dog. 

I have use dthe timbermate puttythat @MitchellMc mentions and its a solid product. I was thinking that maybe you could draw a line across the stained section and then sand the bottom side and paint it say a black or something that matches either side of the room? Or even a piece of trim that you could add to differentiate between the two colours? 

Feel your pain 😕

Dave

Hi both - gave it an attempt this weekend. See pics below.

Any tips for making it blend more? Thinking of trying the Feast Watson gloss clear varnish.

Thanks @Dave-1  for your ideas (and condolences!)  Unfortunately it’s a rental so giving repairs an attempt before it comes out of the bond payment 😬

D441FD46-D848-4F1A-89AD-D6209AFD8E20.jpeg

04DFA527-A322-4F97-AFD2-E359D3DC766D.jpeg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @oliviamay 

I like the work so far :surprised: Did you use the timbermate? Hopefully blending it in will go as nicely.

I have used WD40 on timber surfaces (tho not varnished ones) to stop little doggos from chewing them. It ahs worked as no way will they go near the smell.

Looking forward to seeing the finished work :smile:

Dave

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning again @oliviamay 

:smile: I just re-read your response. Are you going to paint over the putty? I would probarly do so before adding varnish as it could be pourus and will stand out with the varnish?

Dave

You've done a lovely job with that filler, @oliviamay!  

The stained area is a little bit dark and lacks any colour variation. If you look at the original timber, you can see the grain of the timber and lights and darks. It might be worth slightly sanding the stain and putty to see if it lightens it up. Do you have any reddish acrylic craft paints that you could dry-brush the surface with to create some streaky wood grain effects? The other option is that you can take a craft paintbrush and apply some stain to it. Dab most of the stain off on a paper towel and then, with light strokes, spread the stain out from the repaired section onto the surrounding timber. This blends the transition and makes it harder to notice by eye.

I don't think varnish will improve the look, but it will lock it in.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects