Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove tannin stains on Merbau bench top?

lucyb
Just Starting Out

How to remove tannin stains on Merbau bench top?

Hi, I bought the SpecRite 2200 x 600 x 26mm Merbau Panel a few days ago to use as a desktop. I haven't any experience in treating wood so just want some advice on the best options. 

When I bought the panel, I had to remove quite a few off the pile as many of them were wet and had huge stains. The one I picked was what I thought to be the first one that wasn't wet/stained. However, when I got home I realised it has a large darkish stain. Firstly, I'm wondering if this is easily fixed or shall I return/swap it? 

If it can be fixed, I've read lots of different advice online about merbau and that it is best to bleed it first, but all this information was for it to be used as decking. I am hoping to buy another panel to use as extra bench space in the kitchen. Whatever I do to the panels, I want them to look the same (I am in a rental/house share and want the option to be able to take them with me and be able to use the panels together if needed if I move house in the future). 

From what I have gathered, I am best to not treat them yet and keep washing them until the tanning has all leaked out. Would this be the best option and if so, how should I wash it? I will be using the panel as my desk in the meantime so if I can just keep wiping it in my room that would be ideal, but I would take it outside if needed. 

Are they okay to be sanded? What would be the best option to treat it to keep it as natural looking as possible (and not too glossy) but with the most protection?

Lucy 

(The larger dark stain near the blue wall was how I bought it, the smaller stains near the edge are just a couple of drops of water falling from my water bottle)

The stain that was already on when I bought itThe stain that was already on when I bought itjust a couple of drops from my water bottlejust a couple of drops from my water bottleIMG_6748 Small.jpegHoping to also get another panel to extend it round the corner to cover the top of the white drawsHoping to also get another panel to extend it round the corner to cover the top of the white draws

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Advice for tannin stains with Merbau bench top (to be used as a desk)

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lucyb. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing a Merbau table.

That panel can be sealed with wax, oil or lacquer. The process of bleeding the Merbau of tannins would need to be done outside. You could use Cabot's 2L New Timber Prep to scrub it down and remove tannins. Alternatively, you could not go through the tannin removal process and seal it directly with a satin polyurethane. Sealing the timber adequately is important so no spilled water can access it. If it does, the tannins will bleed out and cause staining.

From your images, I can't discern a stain on the end near the wall. But, the panels can be sanded. Cleaning with the new timber prep would likely remove the staining.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell!

How intensive is the scrubbing with the timber prep, and can it be done in one go? I've seen a few people say it can take up to a year for the tannin to fully remove but not sure if thats with a different process. Would I need to thoroughly dry it after scrubbing and how long after can I seal it?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Scrubbing with the timber prep can be done in one go @lucyb. The natural weathering process to remove tannins can take several weeks, but this product accelerates the process by using chemicals. After the tannin removal process, you'll need to let the timber fully dry. So, I'd give it a couple of days to dry out. Do not leave the panel in the sun to dry, and place it on a flat or well-supported surface. 

Remember your PPE when using the timber prep product, including safety glass, gloves, a face mask, a long-sleeved shirt and trousers.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell. 
I (finally) got round to prepping the panel with the Cabot’s 2L timber prep this morning. I ended up needing to use the entire 2L as it was drying quite quickly (very windy in WA). I’ve spent the day hosing it down and scrubbing again with just water, but there is still tannin leaking slightly. The water running off isn’t fully clear. 
I’m just wondering if it is normal for tannin still to be leaking out and if I am okay to continue to the next steps once fully dry?

I plan to sand first, then I was hoping to oil with danish oil. Will this be okay? 
I would prefer a matte finish. I would like to be able to put a hot mug on the surface without worrying about damaging it. 
Thanks

Lucy 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @lucyb,

Apologies for the slow reply, but Mitch is taking a well-earned break at the moment. I'm sure our other resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to share his thoughts.

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lucyb 

My apologies for the late reply. It's good to hear that you've given the benchtop a good wash. Please remember to let it dry out in the shade and don't expose it to intense sunlight. Once the majority of the tannins have been washed out it should be safe to sand down and apply the Danish oil.

However, if the surface of the benchtop is still damp, please don't start sanding and give it a few more days to dry out. The bench top must be totally dry all the way to the core so that any seal you put on top will not get pushed off by trapped moisture.  

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your benchtop sealed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects